Comparison of Bank Credit Ratings for Various Agencies
AbstractArticle proposes comparative studies of credit ratings of the leading Russian and international rating agencies. We analyze approaches and the possibility of comparison of agencies’ rating scales. Purpose of this analysis is to propose method and describe the criteria for comparison of rating scales and the possibility of using standard econometric models. We demonstrate the dynamics and development of rating business in Russia, problems and prospects of creating the unified rating area. A detailed comparative analysis of rating scales is focused on Russian banks. Database for empirical study includes 370 banks with at least one contact rating in the period 2006–2010. Similar research has also been carried out for international banks on the sample of 1995–2010 years. It consists of representatives of more than 80 countries. Conclusions provided for ten most commonly used bank ratings in Russia including scales of largest international rating agencies. Results may be used by regulators and commercial banks as part of the risk management methodologies and tender indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by New Economic Association in its journal Journal of the New Economic Association.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Nakhimovsky prospekt, 32, Office 1115, 117218 Moscow Russia
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
credit rating; bank; comparative analysis; rating scale; risk-management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peresetsky, A. A. & Karminsky, A. M., 2011.
"Models for Moody’s bank ratings,"
34864, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guttler, Andre & Wahrenburg, Mark, 2007. "The adjustment of credit ratings in advance of defaults," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 751-767, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.