Competitiveness of Pakistani Fruits in the World Market
AbstractThis paper examines the global competitiveness of Pakistan’s fruit exports (dates, mangoes, and oranges), using revealed comparative advantage (RCA). It also analyzes domestic consumption trends among selected fruits grown by major exporters. Our results indicate that Pakistan has a comparative advantage in fruit exports. Comparing the movement in comparative advantage indices for Pakistan with those of its main exporters/competitors demonstrates that Pakistan has a relatively high comparative and competitive advantage in the production of dates and mangoes. The increasing trend of competitiveness in Pakistan indicates that there is potential for higher growth; given that fruit exports are a potential source of higher exports earnings, there is a need to strengthen competitiveness in this sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics in its journal Lahore Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Comparative advantage; competitiveness; exports; growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frohberg, Klaus & Hartmann, Monika, 1997. "Comparing measures of competitiveness," IAMO Discussion Papers 2, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Hsu, Jane Lu & Wann, Joyce J., 2001. "Competitiveness And Consumer Preferences Of Us Fruits In Taiwan," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20488, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Siegfried Bender & Kui-Wai Li, 2002. "The Changing Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantages of Asian and Latin American Manufacture Exports," Working Papers 843, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
- Akhtar, Muhammad Ramzan, 1999. "Effects of Trade Liberalization on Agriculture in Pakistan: Commodity Aspects," Working Papers 32697, United Nations Centre for Alleviation of Poverty Through Secondary Crops' Development in Asia and the Pacific (CAPSA).
- Vollrath, Thomas L., 1985. "Dynamics of Comparative Advantage and the Resistance to Free Trade," Foreign Agricultural Economic Report (FAER) 147534, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2003. "The Dynamics Of Agri-Food Trade Patterns - The Hungarian Case," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25851, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Keld Laursen, 1998. "Revealed Comparative Advantage and the Alternatives as Measures of International Specialisation," DRUID Working Papers 98-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.