Creation and Pursuit of Entrepreneurial Opportunities: An Evolutionary Economics Perspective
AbstractConsiderable debate surrounds the concept of entrepreneurial opportunities. This paper approaches the opportunity concept from an evolutionary market process perspective. It argues that new opportunities for entrepreneurial activity frequently emerge as by-products of market competition. Agents may deliberately or unwittingly create opportunities. Organizational development and the evolution of industries are additional sources of new entrepreneurial opportunities. At the same time, they enable agents to acquire the skills required to exploit these opportunities. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
business conceptions; industry evolution; market process; opportunities; spin-offs; B25; D21; L10; L26; M13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B25 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Historical; Institutional; Evolutionary; Austrian
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Buenstorf & Ulrich Witt, 2006. "How Problems of Organisational Growth in Firms Affect Industry Entry and Exit," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 47-62.
- Ulrich Witt, 1999.
"Do Entrepreneurs Need Firms? A Contribution to a Missing Chapter in Austrian Economics,"
The Review of Austrian Economics,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1999. " Do Entrepreneurs Need Firms? A Contribution to a Missing Chapter in Austrian Economics," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1-2), pages 99-109.
- Steven Klepper & Sally Sleeper, 2005.
"Entry by Spinoffs,"
INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1291-1306, August.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Witt, Ulrich, 2000. "Changing Cognitive Frames--Changing Organizational Forms: An Entrepreneurial Theory of Organizational Development," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 733-55, December.
- Klepper, Steven, 1997. "Industry Life Cycles," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 145-81.
- Steven Klepper & Peter Thompson, 2006.
"Submarkets and the evolution of market structure,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 861-886, December.
- Steven Klepper, 2002. "The capabilities of new firms and the evolution of the US automobile industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 645-666, August.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2009.
"Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tyre Cluster Revisited,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 705-733, 04.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2005. "Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tire Cluster Revisited," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-08, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Ulrich Witt, 2002.
"How Evolutionary Is Schumpeter'S Theory Of Economic Development?,"
Industry & Innovation,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(1-2), pages 7-22.
- Ulrich Witt, . "How Evolutionary is Schumpeter's Theory of Economic Development?," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2001-12, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Buchanan, James M. & Vanberg, Viktor J., 1991. "The Market as a Creative Process," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 167-186, October.
- Foster, John, 1997. "The analytical foundations of evolutionary economics: From biological analogy to economic self-organization," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 427-451, October.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Guido Buenstorf & Johann Peter Murmann, 2005. "Ernst Abbe's scientific management: theoretical insights from a nineteenth-century dynamic capabilities approach," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 543-578, August.
- Agarwal, Rajshree & Echambadi, Raj & Franco, April M. & Sarkar, M. B., 2002. "Knowledge Transfer through Congenital Learning: Spin-Out Generation, Growth and Survival," Working Papers 02-0101, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Christian Cordes, 2006.
"Darwinism in economics: from analogy to continuity,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 16(5), pages 529-541, December.
- Christian Cordes, 2004. "Darwinism in Economics: From Analogy to Continuity," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2004-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Guido Buenstorf, . "Designing Clunkers: Demand-Side Innovation and the Early History of the Mountain Bike," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2001-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2006.
"Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-20, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007. "Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 179-202, May.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth – Past experiences, current knowledge and policy implications,"
2010:2, Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth - past experience, current knowledge and policy implications," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 224, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007. "Opportunity Spin-offs and Necessity Spin-offs," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-18, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Thomas Gries & Stefan Jungblut & Wim Naude, 2011.
"New Firm Creation and Failure: A Matching Approach,"
39, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Gries, Thomas & Jungblut, Stefan & Naudé, Wim, 2012. "New firm creation and failure: A matching approach," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 015, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Serge Lenga, 2013. "Un Effet Moderateur Des Processus Cognitifs De L'Entrepreneur Sur Les Opportunites D'Affaires Situees Dans L'Espace Geographique," Working Papers hal-00832027, HAL.
- Ibrahim, Gamal & Galt, Vaughan, 2011. "Explaining ethnic entrepreneurship: An evolutionary economics approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 607-613.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.