Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis
AbstractThis paper develops a foreign expansion index (FEI) of the firm which integrates various dimensions of commitment to internationalization, i.e. exports, foreign penetration operations and FDI. This study focuses on Italy, constructing FEIs for each of some 4,000 firms for three periods characterized by different exchange rate regimes. The determinants of FEI in each period are studied through the use of an ordered probit model. The findings suggest that: a) firm size, inter- firm relations, innovation capabilities, location and technology are all highly significant determinants of FEI, but their impact on the foreign expansion is influenced by the exchange rate regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 23 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
firm behavior; international business; qualitative choice models;
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2003. "Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis," Industrial Organization, EconWPA 0312001, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-65, May.
- Guido Nassimbeni & Alberto De Toni, 2000. "La propensione esportativa della piccola impresa: un confronto empirico tra unità esportatrici e non esportatrici," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(105).
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers, School of Economics, La Trobe University 1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Innovation and export behaviour at the firm level," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 829-841, April.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Davide Castellani, 2002. "Export behavior and productivity growth: Evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 138(4), pages 605-628, December.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Bagella Michele & Becchetti Leonardo, 1999. "Effetto distretto e performance delle esportazioni sotto diversi regimi di cambio: analisi empirica e implicazioni per l'Euro," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 225-252.
- Feinberg, Robert M., 1992. "Hysteresis and export targeting," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 679-684, December.
- Linsu Kim & Jeffrey B. Nugent & Seung-Jae Yhee, 1997. "Transaction Costs And Export Channels Of Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Case Of Korea," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(1), pages 104-120, 01.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2000. "The determinants of export performance: A firmlevel study in Italian Manufacturing," Working Papers 142, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Seev Hirsch & Ilan Bijaoui, 1985. "R&D intensity and export performance: A micro view," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 238-251, June.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.