The Case of the Missing Pollution Haven Hypothesis
AbstractOne particularly vexing puzzle for economists and policymakers over the past several decades concerns the empirical significance of the theoretically predicted pollution haven hypothesis. While neoclassical theory and conventional wisdom both surmise that local economies will suffer deleterious effects from stricter environmental regulations, empirical studies have largely failed to validate such claims. This study utilizes the method of matching to show that the impact of stricter regulation is heterogeneous spatially, varying systematically based on location-specific attributes. Previous studies that assume a homogenous response may therefore inadvertently mask the overall impact of more stringent regulations by pooling unaffected and affected regions. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
pollution haven hypothesis; environmental regulation; treatment effects; propensity score; matching;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abay Mulatu & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Cees A.A.M. Withagen, 2001. "Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-039/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Randy Becker & Vernon Henderson, 2000. "Effects of Air Quality Regulations on Polluting Industries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 379-421, April.
- George Adu, 2013. "Effects on growth of environmental policy in a small open economy," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 15(4), pages 343-365, October.
- Daniel L. Millimet & Jayjit Roy, 2011.
"Three New Empirical Tests of the Pollution Haven Hypothesis When Environmental Regulation is Endogenous,"
11-10, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Millimet, Daniel L. & Roy, Jayjit, 2011. "Three New Empirical Tests of the Pollution Haven Hypothesis When Environmental Regulation is Endogenous," IZA Discussion Papers 5911, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Garcia, Jorge H. & Afsah, Shakeb & Sterner, Thomas, 2008. "What Kinds of Firms Are More Sensitive to Public Disclosure Programs for Pollution Control? The Case of Indonesia’s PROPER Program," Discussion Papers dp-08-12-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Kukenova, Madina & Monteiro, Jose-Antonio, 2008.
"Does Lax Environmental Regulation Attract FDI when accounting for "third-country" effects?,"
11321, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2008.
- José-Antonio Monteiro & Madina Kukenova, 2008. "Does Lax Environmental Regulation Attract FDI When Accounting For "Third-Country" Effects?," IRENE Working Papers 08-01, IRENE Institute of Economic Research.
- Jorge García & Shakeb Afsah & Thomas Sterner, 2009. "Which Firms are More Sensitive to Public Disclosure Schemes for Pollution Control? Evidence from Indonesia’s PROPER Program," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 151-168, February.
- Baomin Dong & Jiong Gong & Xin Zhao, 2012. "FDI and environmental regulation: pollution haven or a race to the top?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 216-237, April.
- Adu, George, 2011. "Effects on growth of environmental policy in a small open economy," Working Papers 118225, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Koubi, Vally & Bernauer, Thomas, 2008. "Globalization and the environment," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008 24, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Abay Mulatu, 2008. "Weighing the relative importance of environmental regulation for industry location," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0803, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2009.
"Environmental Effects of International Trade,"
4481652, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Rahel Aichele & Gabriel Felbermayr, 2013.
"Estimating the Effects of Kyoto on Bilateral Trade Flows Using Matching Econometrics,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 303-330, 03.
- Rahel Aichele & Gabriel J. Felbermayr, 2011. "Estimating the effects of Kyoto on bilateraltrade flows using matching econometrics," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 119, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Cave, Lisa A. & Blomquist, Glenn C., 2008. "Environmental policy in the European Union: Fostering the development of pollution havens?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 253-261, April.
- Ulrich J. Wagner & Christopher Timmins, 2010.
"Agglomeration Effects in Foreign Direct Investment and the Pollution Haven Hypothesis,"
10-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Wagner & Christopher Timmins, 2009. "Agglomeration Effects in Foreign Direct Investment and the Pollution Haven Hypothesis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 231-256, June.
- Abay Mulatu & Reyer Gerlagh & Dan Rigby & Ada Wossink, 2010. "Environmental Regulation and Industry Location in Europe," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(4), pages 459-479, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.