Scale Economies in Cellular Telephony: Size Matters
AbstractStrategic positioning and potential cost savings are popular explanations for growing consolidation in the wireless telephone industry. This research estimates economies of scale for a large panel of GTE Wireless cellular market areas. Contrary to previous findings, our results indicate scale economies exist throughout the system and provide a rationale for the industry trend of consolidation. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joshua S. Gans & Stephen P. King & Julian Wright, 2005. "Wireless Communications," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series archive-45, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Bloch, Harry, et al, 2001.
"The Cost Structure of Australian Telecommunications,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 338-50, December.
- Bloch, Harry & Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2001. "The cost structure of Australian telecommunications," MPRA Paper 11019, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Glass & Stela Stefanova, 2012. "Economies of scale for broadband in rural United States," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 100-119, February.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2007.
"Entry, costs reduction, and competition in the Portuguese mobile telephony industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 461-481, June.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Pedro Pereira, 2007. "Entry, Costs Reduction, and Competition in the Portuguese Mobile Telephony Industry," Post-Print hal-00622837, HAL.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2005. "Entry, Cost Reduction and Competition in The Portuguese Mobile Telephone Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 4993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2009.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cellular Demand in South Africa,"
TSE Working Papers
09-091, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2009. "An empirical analysis of cellular demand in South Africa," CEPR Discussion Papers 7153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis of Cellular Demand in South Africa," IDEI Working Papers 531, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004.
"A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect,"
10829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004. "A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 133-144, March.
- Muck, Johannes & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012. "First mover advantages in mobile telecommunications: Evidence from OECD countries," DICE Discussion Papers 71, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Tommaso Valletti, 2003. "Is Mobile Telephony a Natural Oligopoly?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 47-65, February.
- Michael Crew & Paul Kleindorfer, 2012. "Regulatory economics and the journal of regulatory economics: a 30-year retrospective," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Takanori Ida & Toshifumi Kuroda, 2009. "Discrete choice model analysis of mobile telephone service demand in Japan," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 65-80, February.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Estache, Antonio & Foucart, Renaud & Garsous, Gregoire & Yepes, Tito, 2012.
"Job creation through infrastructure investment in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6164, The World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Estache, Antonio & Foucart, Renaud & Garsous, Grégoire & Yepes, Tito, 2013. "Job Creation through Infrastructure Investment in the Middle East and North Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 209-222.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.