A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect
AbstractThis study examines the growth of global mobile telephony and the economic factors that affect this growth. Mobile telephony has exhibited substantial growth in the decade to 2000 and this growth is expected to continue with the introduction of technically advanced mobile cellular networks. A dynamic demand model is estimated by using global telecommunications panel data comprised of 56 countries. Results from the estimation are provided along with elasticity estimates and impulse response functions for price and income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10829.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Mobile telephony; fixed line telephony; network effect; substitution; global analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004. "A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 133-144, March.
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geroski, P. A., 2000.
"Models of technology diffusion,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 603-625, April.
- Parker, Philip M., 1994. "Aggregate diffusion forecasting models in marketing: A critical review," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 353-380, September.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
- World Bank, 2000. "World Development Indicators 2000," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13828.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998.
"The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research
1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foreman, R Dean & Beauvais, Edward, 1999. "Scale Economies in Cellular Telephony: Size Matters," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-306, November.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Majumdar, Sumit K., 1999. "A matter of connections: OECD telecommunications sector productivity and the role of cellular technology diffusion," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 243-269, September.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
- Daniel Birke, 2009.
"The Economics Of Networks: A Survey Of The Empirical Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 762-793, 09.
- Daniel Birke, 2008. "The economics of networks - A survey of the empirical literature," Occasional Papers, Industrial Economics Division 22, Industrial Economics Division.
- Takanori Ida & Toshifumi Kuroda, 2009. "Discrete choice model analysis of mobile telephone service demand in Japan," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 65-80, February.
- Chen-Ju Lin & Ci-Rong Li & Chih-Peng Chu, 2011. "The effects of applying a hybrid method with a macro–micro approach for market research in the telecommunication industry," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 829-843, June.
- Sangwon Lee & Justin S. Brown, 2008. "The Diffusion of Fixed Broadband: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 08-19, NET Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2004.
"Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony - Are Devoloping Countries Different?,"
Discussion Papers, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy
901, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2006. "Diffusion of digital mobile telephony: Are developing countries different?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2004. "Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony: Are Developing Countries Different?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Thierry PENARD & Nicolas POUSSING & Gabriel ZOMO YEBE & Philémon NSI ELLA, 2012.
"Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa: Evidence from Gabon,"
Communications & Strategies,
IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(86), pages 65-83, 2nd quart.
- Thierry Pénard & Nicolas Poussing & Gabriel Zomo Yebe & Philémon Nsi Ella, 2012. "Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa : Evidence from Gabon," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201217, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2007.
"Entry, costs reduction, and competition in the Portuguese mobile telephony industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 461-481, June.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Pedro Pereira, 2007. "Entry, Costs Reduction, and Competition in the Portuguese Mobile Telephony Industry," Post-Print hal-00622837, HAL.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2005. "Entry, Cost Reduction and Competition in The Portuguese Mobile Telephone Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 4993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & MUKOKO Blaise & TAMOKWE Georges Bertrand, 2013. "Internet adoption and usage patterns in Africa: Evidence from Cameroon," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2013-22, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Jerry Hausman & Agustin Ros, 2013. "An econometric assessment of telecommunications prices and consumer surplus in Mexico using panel data," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 284-304, June.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & ZOMO YEBE Gabriel & NSI ELLA PhilÃ©mon, 2012. "Usage d'Internet et du tÃ©lÃ©phone mobile en Afrique : une comparaison des dÃ©terminants d'adoption sur donnÃ©es gabonaises," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-15, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Varadharajan Sridhar, 2010. "An econometric analysis of mobile services growth across regions of India," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 205-220, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.