The prison in economics: private and public incarceration in Ancient Greece
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 145 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
Public goods; Market failure; Prisons; Athens; Economic history; N4; N0; P5;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N4 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation
- N0 - Economic History - - General
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- Ekelund, Robert B. & Dorton, Cheryl, 2003. "Criminal justice institutions as a common pool: the 19th century analysis of Edwin Chadwick," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 271-294, March.
- Walter Block & William Barnett, 2009. "Coase and Bertrand on lighthouses," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Nicholas Kyriazis, 2009. "Financing the Athenian state: public choice in the age of Demosthenes," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-127, April.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-76, October.
- Benson, B.L., 1993. "Third Thoughts on Contracting Out," Working Papers 1993_07_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Elodie Bertrand, 2006. "The Coasean analysis of lighthouse financing: myths and realities," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 389-402, May.
- Peter T. Leeson, 2009. "The Laws of Lawlessness," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 471-503, 06.
- Baden, John & Stroup, Richard & Thurman, Walter, 1981. "Myths, Admonitions and Rationality: The American Indian as a Resource Manager," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(1), pages 132-43, January.
- Benson, Bruce L, 1994. "Are Public Goods Really Common Pools? Considerations of the Evolution of Policing and Highways in England," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(2), pages 249-71, April.
- Benson, B.L., 1991. "Do we Want the production of Prison Services to be more "Efficient"?," Working Papers 1991_06_06, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Mark S. Peacock, 2006. "The origins of money in Ancient Greece: the political economy of coinage and exchange," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(4), pages 637-650, July.
- Russell S. Sobel & Brian J. Osoba, 2009.
"Youth Gangs as Pseudo-Governments Implications for Violent Crime,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 996-1018, April.
- Russell S. Sobel & Brian J. Osoba, 2009. "Youth Gangs as Pseudo-Governments: Implications for Violent Crime," Working Papers 09-09, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- J. Giertz & Peter Nardulli, 1985. "Prison overcrowding," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 71-78, January.
- David Skarbek, 2010. "Putting the "Con" into Constitutions: The Economics of Prison Gangs," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 183-211.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.