Labor Supply, Migration, and Long-Term Development
AbstractThis article analyzes the impact of the supply of skilled and unskilled labor on the growth rate of open economies. Using an expansion-in-varieties framework, the model distinguishes between a long-term equilibrium and a medium-term adjustment path. It is demonstrated that the dynamic effects of labor supply are different in a model with expanding varieties in the consumption sector from those in a model with expanding varieties in the production sector. In addition, the outcome depends on the elasticities of substitution in production as well as the countries' production shares in world goods markets. It is shown that, in general, the supply of unskilled labor is likely to have an unfavorable effect on long-term development. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
migration; growth; increasing varieties; research and development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundborg, Per & Segerstrom, Paul S., 2002.
"The growth and welfare effects of international mass migration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 177-204, January.
- Lundborg, Per & Segerstrom, Paul S., 1998. "The Growth and Welfare Effects of International Mass Migration," Working Paper Series 146, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1990.
"Trade and Uneven Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, .
"Equipment Investment and Economic Growth,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_122, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Nadeem U. Haque & Se-Jik Kim, 1995. "“Human Capital Flight”: Impact of Migration on Income and Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 577-607, September.
- Elise Brezis & Paul Krugman, 1996.
"Immigration, investment, and real wages,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 83-93, February.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993.
"International comparisons of educational attainment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Comparisons of Educational Attainment," NBER Working Papers 4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Dolado, Juan J & Goria, Alessandra & Ichino, Andrea, 1994.
"Immigration, Human Capital and Growth in the Host Country: Evidence from Pooled Country Data,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 193-215.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Goria, Alessandra & Ichino, Andrea, 1993. "Immigration, Human Capital and Growth in the Host Country: Evidence from Pooled Country Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 875, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dolado, Juan José & Ichino, Andrea & Goria, Alessandra, 1994. "Immigration, human capital and growth in the host country : evidence from pooled country data," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3310, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1996. "Increasing returns, migrations and convergence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 121-136, April.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- International Monetary Fund, 1994. "Human Capital Flight: Impact of Migration on Income and Growth," IMF Working Papers 94/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Lucas Bretschger & Thomas M. Steger, 2004.
"The dynamics of economic integration : theory and policy,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
04/32, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Lucas Bretschger & Thomas M. Steger, 2004. "The dynamics of economic integration: Theory and policy," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 119-134, January.
- Paul Levine & Emanuela Lotti & Joseph Pearlman, 2003.
"The Immigration Surplus Revisited in a General Equilibrium Model with Endogenous Growth,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
0203, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Stephen Drinkwater & Paul Levine & Emanuela Lotti & Joseph Pearlman, 2007. "The Immigration Surplus Revisited In A General Equilibrium Model With Endogenous Growth," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 569-601.
- Cat Moody, 2006. "Migration and Economic Growth: a 21st Century Perspective," Treasury Working Paper Series 06/02, New Zealand Treasury.
- Stephen Drinkwater & Paul Levine & Emanuela Lotti & Joseph Pearlman, 2003. "The Economic Impact of Migration: A Survey," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0103, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.