Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach
AbstractOLS regression has typically been used in housing research to determine the relationship of a particular housing characteristic with selling price. Results differ across studies, not only in terms of size of OLS coefficients and statistical significance, but sometimes in direction of effect. This study suggests that some of the observed variation in the estimated prices of housing characteristics may reflect the fact that characteristics are not priced the same across a given distribution of house prices. To examine this issue, this study uses quantile regression, with and without accounting for spatial autocorrecation, to identify the coefficients of a large set of diverse variables across different quantiles. The results show that purchasers of higher-priced homes value certain housing characteristics such as square footage and the number of bathrooms differently from buyers of lower-priced homes. Other variables such as age are also shown to vary across the distribution of house prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
Hedonic price function; Quantile regression; Spatial lag; R31; C21; C29;
Other versions of this item:
- Joachim Zietz & Emily N. Zietz & G. Stacy Sirmans., 2007. "Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach," Working Papers 200706, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C29 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- William Gould, 1998. "Interquartile and simultaneous-quantile regression," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(38).
- Joachim Zietz & Bobby Newsome, 2002. "Agency Representation and the Sale Price of Houses," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 165-192.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, April.
- Christophe Muller & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2004.
"Two-Stage Quantile Regression When The First Stage Is Based On Quantile Regression,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2004. "Two-stage quantile regression when the first stage is based on quantile regression," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 218-231, 06.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1987. "The Estimation of Demand Parameters in Hedonic Price Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 81-88, February.
- William Gould, 1993. "Quantile regression with bootstrapped standard errors," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(9).
- Epple, Dennis, 1987. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Estimating Demand and Supply Functions for Differentiated Products," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Stephen Malpezzi, . "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Contreras, Víctor & Garay, Urbi & Santos, Miguel Angel & Betancourt, Cosme, 2014. "Expropriation risk and housing prices: Evidence from an emerging market," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 935-942.
- Vestal, Mallory K. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Cooper, Steven R. & Ward, Clement E., 2012. "What Are the Consequences of United States Government Slaughter Policies on Horse Prices?," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119766, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Bernardo Furtado & Frank van Oort, 2011. "Neighborhood weight matrix in a spatial-quantile real estate modeling environment: Evidence from Brazil," ERSA conference papers ersa10p424, European Regional Science Association.
- Liao, Wen-Chi & Wang, Xizhu, 2012. "Hedonic house prices and spatial quantile regression," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 16-27.
- Drescher, Larissa S. & Goddard, Ellen W., 2011. "Heterogeneous Demand for Food Diversity: A Quantile Regression Analysis," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114484, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Fuchs, Benjamin & Fitzenberger, Bernd, 2013. "Tenancy Law Reform Act and Length of Tenancy Discount: Heterogenous Effects in a West German Household Sample," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79723, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Teuber, Ramona & Herrmann, Roland, 2012.
"Towards a differentiated modeling of origin effects in hedonic analysis: An application to auction prices of specialty coffee,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 732-740.
- Teuber, Ramona & Herrmann, Roland, 2012. "Towards a Differentiated Modelling of Origin Effects in Hedonic Analysis:An Application to Auction Prices of Specialty Coffee," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126235, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ming-Chi Chen & Chi-Lu Peng & So-De Shyu & Jhih-Hong Zeng, 2012. "Market States and the Effect on Equity REIT Returns due to Changes in Monetary Policy Stance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 364-382, August.
- Nicodemo, Catia & Raya, Josep M., 2012.
"Change in the Distribution of House Prices across Spanish Cities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6503, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nicodemo, Catia & Raya, Josep Maria, 2012. "Change in the distribution of house prices across Spanish cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 739-748.
- Justin Ross & Michael Farmer & Clifford Lipscomb, 2011. "Inconsistency in Welfare Inferences from Distance Variables in Hedonic Regressions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 385-400, October.
- Rafael González-Val, 2014. "Cross-sectional growth in US cities from 1990 to 2000," Working Papers 2014/17, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Philip Kostov, 2013. "Empirical likelihood estimation of the spatial quantile regression," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 51-69, January.
- Fesselmeyer, Eric & Le, Kien T. & Seah, Kiat Ying, 2013. "Changes in the white–black house value distribution gap from 1997 to 2005," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 132-141.
- Uematsu, Hiroki & Mishra, Ashok K., 2012. "The Impact of Natural Amenity on Farmland Values: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119804, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Liu, Sezhu & Hite, Diane, 2013. "Measuring the Effect of Green Space on Property Value: An Application of the Hedonic Spatial Quantile Regression," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143045, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Lenarčič, Andreja & Roffia, Barbara, 2012. "An alternative method for identifying booms and busts in the euro area housing market," Working Paper Series 1493, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.