A Quantitative Approach to Evaluate the Relative Efficiency of Museums
AbstractData Envelopment Analysis is used for evaluating the technical efficiency of museum institutions. This approach enables us to create for each museum a relative efficiency measure, which takes into account both the resources used by museums and the results of their activities. Moreover this technique is able to overcome some of the difficulties found when applying more traditional indicators of productivity in evaluating the technical efficiency of cultural institutions. An empirical analysis carried out on data from Italian municipal museums illustrates this application of the operational research model. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
Data Envelopment Analysis; efficiency measure; museum;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Mairesse & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 2002. "Museum Assessment and FDH Technology: Towards a Global Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 261-286, November.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Forsund,F.R. & Sarafoglou,N., 2000. "On the origins of data envelopment analysis," Memorandum 24/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- Seongho Song & David Yi, 2011. "The fundraising efficiency in U.S. non-profit art organizations: an application of a Bayesian estimation approach using the stochastic frontier production model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 171-180, April.
- Massimo Finocchiaro Castro & Calogero Guccio & Ilde Rizzo, 2011. "Public intervention on heritage conservation and determinants of heritage authorities’ performance: a semi-parametric analysis," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Finocchiaro Castro, Massimo & Guccio, Calogero & Rizzo, Ilde, 2009. "Determinants of Heritage Authorities’ Performance: An exploratory study with DEA bootstrapping approach," MPRA Paper 15984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rausell Koster, Pau & Coll-Serrano, Vicente & Abeledo Sanchis, Ra_ul & Marco-Serrano, Francisco, 2013. "Eficiencia de las sociedades musicales de la Comunidad Valenciana || Efficiency of Musical Societies in the Valencian Community," Revista de Métodos Cuantitativos para la Economía y la Empresa = Journal of Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business Administration, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business Administration, vol. 15(1), pages 117-132, June.
- Giovanni Andrés Hernández Salazar & Ana María Olaya Pardo, 2010. "Impacto de la Política Pública Sobre la Demanda Cultural: el Caso de Cuatro Museos en Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Luis César Herrero-Prieto, 2009. "Is Museum Performance Affected By Location And Institution Type? Measuring Cultural Institution Efficiency Through Non-Parametric Techniques," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp425, IIIS.
- Marco-Serrano, Francisco & Rausell-Köster, Pau, 2006. "Productivity Analysis in the Spanish Cultural and Leisure Industry: A Regional Perspective/Análisis de la productividad en el sector de la cultura y el ocio español: una perspectiva regional," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 24, pages 635 (24 pÃ¡, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.