The Returns to Picasso's Prints and to Traditional Financial Assets, 1977 to 1996
AbstractThis paper updates prior work by Pesando (1993) regarding art as an investment. Using world-wide auction prices for Picasso prints for the period 1977 to 1996, this paper establishes that (1) a recovery in the art market did occur in the mid-1990s, but (2) the real rate of return on this segment of the art market remains low relative to its risk. Indeed, the real rate of return is beneath that provided by U.S. Treasury Bills. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1999
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
art market; asset pricing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buelens, Nathalie & Ginsburgh, Victor, 1993.
"Revisiting Baumol's 'art as floating crap game',"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1351-1371, October.
- Nathalie Buelens & Victor Ginsburgh, 1993. "Revisiting Baumol's Art as floating crap game," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1727, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ginsburgh, V. & Buelens, N., 1992. "Revisiting Baumol's "Art As Floating Crap Game"," Papers 9204, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- BUELENS, Nathalie & GINSBURGH, Victor, . "Revisiting Baumol's `art as floating crap game'," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Shiller, Robert J, 1979. "The Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates and Expectations Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1190-1219, December.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Unnatural Value: Or Art Investment as Floating Crap Game," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 10-14, May.
- Pesando, James E, 1993. "Art as an Investment: The Market for Modern Prints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1075-89, December.
- Chanel, O., 1994.
"Is Art Market Behavior Predictable?,"
94b08, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Goetzmann, William N, 1993. "Accounting for Taste: Art and the Financial Markets over Three Centuries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1370-76, December.
- G. Candela & A. Scorcu, 1997. "A Price Index for Art Market Auctions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 175-196, September.
- Nicoletta Marinelli & Giulio Palomba, 2009.
"A Model for Pricing the Italian Contemporary Art Paintings at Auction,"
Universidad del País Vasco - Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Nicoletta MARINELLI & Giulio PALOMBA, 2008. "A Model for Pricing the Italian Contemporary Art Paintings at Auction," Working Papers 316, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Kim Oosterlinck, 2009. "The Price of Degenerate Art," Working Papers CEB 09-031.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abderazak Bakhouche & Ludovic P.J. Thebault, 2011. "What Determines Cézanne’S Art Pricing? A Hedonic Regression Method," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 58, pages 515-532, november.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.