Art Museums: Collections, Deaccessioning and Donations
AbstractThis paper looks at three issues: the functions of art museums, the role of deaccessioning in this context and the importance of donations of works of art in contributing to the collection function. Donor restrictions it is argued should not be allowed to unduly influence the policy of an art museum, including that in relation to deaccessioning: this is especially the case given that often the state has paid, in the form of a tax expenditure, for the bulk of such donations. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
deaccessioning; art collections; donors;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Ginsburgh & Pierre-Michel Menger, 1996.
"Economics of the Arts: Selected essays,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/152420, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Richard N. Rosett, 1991. "Art Museums in the United States: A Financial Portrait," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of Art Museums, pages 129-178 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno S. Frey & Stephan Meier, .
"The Economics of Museums,"
IEW - Working Papers
149, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010.
"Pay as You Go: A New Proposal for Museum Pricing,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2010-10, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010. "Pay as you go: a new proposal for museum pricing," IEW - Working Papers 485, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010. "Pay as you Go: A New Proposal for Museum Pricing," CESifo Working Paper Series 3045, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.