Shame-Proneness as a Risk Factor of Compulsive Buying
AbstractAlthough compulsive buying is understood as an attempt to deal with chronic negative affect, the role of self-conscious emotions has not been explicitly theorized nor empirically examined. One objective of this manuscript was to fill this gap by integrating the escape theory account of compulsive buying with the psychological literature on negative self-conscious emotions. Specifically, shame-proneness was posited to be an important risk factor of compulsive buying severity. Another objective of this study was to examine the use of avoidant coping strategies following buying lapses and relate them with dispositional self-conscious emotions. Specifically, it was hypothesized that the use of avoidant coping strategies following buying lapses would be positively influenced by shame-proneness, and that this effect would be partially mediated by compulsive buying. These hypotheses received strong support from two studies, in which compulsive buying was assessed with different self-report instruments. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Consumer Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100283
Shame-proneness; Compulsive buying; Escape motive; Avoidant coping;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faber, Ronald J, et al, 1995. " Two Forms of Compulsive Consumption: Comorbidity of Compulsive Buying and Binge Eating," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 296-304, December.
- Yi, Sunghwan & Baumgartner, Hans, 2011. "Coping with guilt and shame in the impulse buying context," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 458-467, June.
- Nancy M. Ridgway & Monika Kukar-Kinney & Kent B. Monroe, 2008. "An Expanded Conceptualization and a New Measure of Compulsive Buying," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(4), pages 622-639, 08.
- Rook, Dennis W, 1987. " The Buying Impulse," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 189-99, September.
- Faber, Ronald J & O'Guinn, Thomas C, 1992. " A Clinical Screener for Compulsive Buying," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 459-69, December.
- O'Guinn, Thomas C & Faber, Ronald J, 1989. " Compulsive Buying: A Phenomenological Exploration," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 147-57, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.