William Vickrey: Contributions to Public Policy
AbstractThis article introduces the reader to the full range of William Vickrey's contributions to economics from a public policy perspective. It is organized in similar manner to the book Public Economics: Selected Papers by William Vickrey; it examines Vickrey's public policy contributions to social choice and allocation mechanisms, taxation, marginal-cost pricing, urban transportation, urban economics, and macroeconomic policy. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
William Vickrey; public policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Richard Arnott, 1997. "William S. Vickrey: Contributions to Public Policy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 387, Boston College Department of Economics.
- H00 - Public Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 175-208, April.
- Jacques H. Dreze, 1995.
"Forty Years of Public Economics: A Personal Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 111-130, Spring.
- DREZE , Jacques H., 1994. "Forty Years of Public Economics : A Personal Perspective," CORE Discussion Papers 1994075, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- William Vickrey, 1939. "Averaging of Income for Income-Tax Purposes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47, pages 379.
- William Vickrey, 1948. "Some Objections to Marginal-Cost Pricing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 218.
- Flatters, Frank & Henderson, Vernon & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974. "Public goods, efficiency, and regional fiscal equalization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 99-112, May.
- William Vickrey, 1947. "Part IV: Resource Distribution Patterns and the Classification of Families," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Income and Wealth, pages 266-297 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solow, Robert M. & Vickrey, William S., 1971. "Land use in a long narrow city," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 430-447, December.
- Theodore Groves & Martin Loeb, 1974.
"Incentives and Public Inputs,"
29, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dreze, Jacques, 1997. " Research and Development in Public Economics: William Vickrey's Inventive Quest of Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 179-98, June.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1.
- Vickrey, William, 1993. "Today's Task for Economists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Starrett, David A., 1974. "Principles of optimal location in a large homogeneous area," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 418-448, December.
- David Lucking-Reiley, 2000. "Vickrey Auctions in Practice: From Nineteenth-Century Philately to Twenty-First-Century E-Commerce," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 183-192, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.