Optimal abatement of sulphur emissions in Europe
AbstractThis study presents a mathematical model for determining cost-effective emissions' control strategies in Europe, by minimizing sulphur abatement costs subject to different pollution control targets. The purpose is to compare the efficiency of a uniform percentage emissions reduction with a scenario that takes variation in environmental conditions into account. Underlying the proposed model is the belief that a full cost-benefit analysis of acid rain abatement is infeasible. The model focuses on the costs of abatement and provides an estimation of the gains (or losses) that countries could achieve if they co-operate in their policies rather than act independently. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental & Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
Acid rain; ecosystem sensitivity thresholds; abatement cost; Jel Classification: Q2;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Jel - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersson, Thomas, 1991. "Government failure -- the cause of global environmental mismanagement," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 215-236, December.
- George Halkos & John Hutton, . "Acid Rain Games in Europe," Discussion Papers 93/12, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Halkos, George, 1997. "Modelling optimal nitrogen oxides abatement in Europe," MPRA Paper 33132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hutton, J P & Halkos, G E, 1995. "Optimal acid rain abatement policy for Europe: An analysis for the year 2000," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 259-275, October.
- Halkos, G.E., 1994. "Optimal acid rain abatement policy in Europe," MPRA Paper 33943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George, 1996. "Evaluating the direct costs of controlling NOx emissions in Europe," MPRA Paper 33253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olivier Godard & Christine Cros, 1998. "The economic design of a potential tradable permit system for SO2 emissions in the European Union," Post-Print hal-00622840, HAL.
- George Halkos, 1996. "Incomplete information in the acid rain game," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 129-148, June.
- Halkos, George & Papageorgiou, George, 2012. "Pollution abatement and reservation prices in a market game," MPRA Paper 42150, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arthur Caplan, 2008. "Incremental and Average Control Costs in a Model of Water Quality Trading with Discrete Abatement Units," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(3), pages 419-435, November.
- Phillip Daves & Michael Ehrhardt, 2011. "Creating a synthetic after-tax zero-coupon bond using US Treasury STRIP bonds: implications for the true after-tax spot rate," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(10), pages 695-705.
- Halkos, George, 1994. "A game-theoretic approach to pollution control problems," MPRA Paper 33259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George, 1993. "An evaluation of the direct costs of abatement under the main desulphurisation technologies," MPRA Paper 32588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano Mendez & Rafael Trelles, 2000. "The Abatement Market A Proposal for Environmental Cooperation among Asymmetric Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(1), pages 15-30, May.
- Halkos, George, 2000. "Determining optimal air quality standards: Quantities or prices?," MPRA Paper 42849, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.