The Environmental Supply of Farm Households: A Flexible Willingness to Accept Model
AbstractThe purpose of the paper is toanalyse farmers' participation inenvironmental schemes, which are gaining agrowing importance within the Europeanagricultural policy. These schemes areimplemented through voluntary contracts thatpay farmers for the provision of environmentalservices. The microeconomic model that isdeveloped is a farm household model thatincorporates the producer and consumerbehaviour of the farmer to optimise hisenvironmental supply considering that theenvironmental service that he is supplying alsohas the characteristics of a public good. Defined as the difference between the profitloss in providing the environmental service andthe willingness to pay to consume this service,the household's “willingness to accept” (WTA)is compared with two flexible WTA measures thataccount for the technological flexibility ofthe environmental supply. Data come from asurvey of an agri-environmental schemeimplemented in the Walloon region of Belgiumsince 1995 and intended to protect the nestingof some endangered bird species. Econometricresults show that contingent valuation is areliable method to reveal the behaviours offarmers facing the invitation to participate inthis scheme. They also confirm that farmerbehaviour is also influenced by environmental preference. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
agri-environmental measures; agricultural amenities; agricultural household model; Belgium; contingent valuation method; environmental policy; willingness to accept;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Delvaux & Henry de Frahan & Dupraz & Vermersch, 1999. "Adoption d'une MAE et consentement Ã recevoir des agriculteurs en rÃ©gion wallone," Working Papers 156444, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Pierre Dupraz & Dominique Vermersch & Lionel Delvaux & Bruno Henry de Frahan, 1999. "Adoption d'une MAE et consentement à recevoir des agriculteurs en région wallone," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 249(1), pages 71-81.
- F. Bonnieux & P. Rainelli & D. Vermersch, 1998. "Estimating the Supply of Environmental Benefits by Agriculture: A French Case Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(2), pages 135-153, March.
- Robert D. Weaver, 1996. "Prosocial Behavior: Private Contributions to Agriculture's Impact on the Environment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(2), pages 231-247.
- Uwe Latacz-Lohmann & Carel Van der Hamsvoort, 1997. "Auctioning Conservation Contracts: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 407-418.
- Stephen Hynes & Cathal O’Donoghue & Eithne Murphy & Ann Kinsella, 2008. "Are far off hills really greener? The Impact of REPS on Farmer Behaviour," Working Papers 0812, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Tenkasi Raghu, Prabhakaran & Das, Sukanya & S, Bala Ravi & E.D.I, Oliver King, 2012.
"Assessing Farmer’s Willingness to Participate in the On-farm Conservation of Minor Millet using Direct Compensation Payment,"
45079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prabhakaran T. Raghu & Sukanya Das & S. Bala Ravi & E.D.Israel Oliver King, 2012. "Assessing Farmer’s Willingness to Participate in the On-farm Conservation of Minor Millet using Direct Compensation Payment," Working Papers 2012-073, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran, 2009.
"Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France,"
09-16, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- Jaeck, Melanie & Lifran, Robert, 2009. "Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using a choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47948, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Stephen Hynes & Brian Cahill & Emma J. Dillon & Thia Hennessy & Eoghan Garvey, 2007. "A Panel Data Random Effects Model of Agri-Environment Programme Participation," Working Papers 0708, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Buckley, Cathal & Hynes, Stephen & Mechan, Sarah, 2012. "Operating or not Operating at the Margin: Farmers Willingness to Adopt a Riparian Buffer Zone," Working Papers 148830, Socio-Economic Marine Research Unit, National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Mooney, Daniel F. & Barham, Bradford L., 2013. "What Drives the Adoption of Clean Agricultural Technologies? An Ex Ante Assessment of Sustainable Biofuel Production in Southwestern Wisconsin," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150557, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mooney, Daniel F. & Barham, Bradford L. & Lian, Chang, 2013. "Sustainable Biofuels, Marginal Agricultural Lands, and Farm Supply Response: Micro-Evidence for Southwest Wisconsin," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150510, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- E. Phimister & D. Roberts, 2006. "The Effect of Off-farm Work on the Intensity of Agricultural Production," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(4), pages 493-515, August.
- Barreiro-Hurle, Jesus & Espinosa-Goded, Maria & Dupraz, Pierre, 2008. "Does Intensity Of Change Matter? Factors Affecting Adoption In Two Agri-Environmental Schemes," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6458, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Peter Howley & Stephen Hynes & Niall Farrelly & Eithne Murphy & Cathal O’Donoghue, 2008. "Conservation under the Irish Rural Environmental Protection Scheme: What land cover types are being protected?," Working Papers 0804, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Jolejole, Christina B. & Swinton, Scott M. & Lupi, Frank, 2009. "Incentives to Supply Enhanced Ecosystem Services from Cropland," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49356, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Raghu, P.T. & Das, S. & Ravi, S.B. & King, E.D.I.O, 2012. "Use of Contingent Valuation to Assess Farmer Preference for On-farm Conservation of Minor Millets: Case from South India," MPRA Paper 43348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephen Hynes & Eoghan Garvey, 2008. "Modelling Structural State Dependency in Agri-Environmental Schemes," Working Papers 0827, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Pierre Dupraz & Karine Latouche & Nadine Turpin, 2007. "Programmes agri-environnementaux en présence d’effets de seuil," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 82, pages 5-32.
- Bachev, Hrabrin & Yovchevska, Plamena & Mitova, Dilyana & Toteva, Desislava & Mitov, Anton, 2013.
"Еко-Управление В Българското Селското Стопанство
[Environmental Management in Bulgarian Agriculture]," MPRA Paper 52202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berentsen, Paul B.M. & Hendriksen, Astrid & Heijman, Wim J.M. & van Vlokhoven, Haske A., 2007. "Costs and benefits of on-farm nature conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 571-579, May.
- Howard, Gregory & Roe, Brian E, 2013. "Stripping Because You Want to Versus Stripping Because the Money is Good: A Latent Class Analysis of Farmer Preferences Regarding Filter Strip Programs," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149821, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Anne GASSIAT & Sylvain ROUSSET & FrâˆšÂ©dâˆšÂ©ric ZAHM, 2011. "Improving water quality with a territorial agro-environmental policy? Insights from the new generation AES in South-West France," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1569, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.