Emissions Trading and Profitability: The Swedish Pulp and Paper Industry
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to develop models with and without potential emissions trading and to compare industry profits under the two regimes. The model in which emissions trading is permitted is a nonparametric industry frontier model in the spirit of Färe et al. (1992). It is relative to this model that industry profit is computed. This profit is compared to the profit without emissions trading to give an estimate of the potential gains that can be realised by allowing for emissions trading. The model, which is applied to data for the Swedish pulp and paper industry, suggests that this industry would have had up to 6% (1%) higher profits in 1989 (1990) if emissions trading had been used instead of individual permits to achieve the same total emissions target. Currently there is no permit trading in this industry so our results only model the potential gains that can be made. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
emissions trading; environmental regulations; pulp and paper; profit;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Runar Brännlund & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "Environmental regulation and profitability: An application to Swedish pulp and paper mills," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 23-36, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Li, Sung-Ko, 1992. " Linear Programming Models for Firm and Industry Performance," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(4), pages 599-608.
- Cattaneo, Andrea, 2001. "Environmental Quality Incentives Program: Why Are So Many Contracts Being Cancelled?," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Whittaker, Gerald & Confesor Jr., Remegio & Griffith, Stephen M. & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Steiner, Jeffrey J. & Mueller-Warrant, George W. & Banowetz, Gary M., 2009. "A hybrid genetic algorithm for multiobjective problems with activity analysis-based local search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 195-203, February.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Breen, James P., 2008. "Simulating a Market for Tradable Greenhouse Gas Emissions Permits amongst Irish Farmers," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36770, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Hoen, Hans Fredrik & Eid, Tron & Okseter, Petter, 2006. "Efficiency gains of cooperation between properties under varying target levels of old forest area coverage," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 135-148, March.
- Troels Kristensen & Peter Bogetoft & Kjeld Pedersen, 2010. "Potential gains from hospital mergers in Denmark," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 334-345, December.
- Lozano, S. & Villa, G. & Brännlund, R., 2009. "Centralised reallocation of emission permits using DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 752-760, March.
- Ángel M. Prieto & José L. Zofío, 2004. "Stock splits: Modelización de la gestión ambiental preventiva mediante estándares," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(1), pages 43-66, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.