Estimating Net Realizable Value for Distressed Real Estate
AbstractThis paper provides a framework for adjusting distressed real estate properties for liquidating discounts. We estimate the probability of receiving an offer on a property in any particular short interval of time. Our empirical evidence allows us to predict the average rate at which offers will occur in any particular interval of time. Further, it allows us to arrive at an estimate of net realizable value, adjusted for selling expenses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Norman G. Miller & Michael A. Sklarz, 1987. "Pricing Strategies and Residential Property Selling Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(1), pages 31-40.
- Han Bin Kang & Mona J. Gardner, 1989. "Selling Price and Marketing Time in the Residential Real Estate Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 21-35.
- Richard V. Butler, 1982. "The Specification of Hedonic Indexes for Urban Housing," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 58(1), pages 96-108.
- Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2004.
"The value of foreclosed property,"
2004-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ping Cheng & Zhenguo Lin & Yingchun Liu, 2010. "Home Price, Time-on-Market, and Seller Heterogeneity Under Changing Market Conditions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 272-293, October.
- Brounen, D., 2008. "The Boom and Gloom of Real Estate Markets," ERIM Inaugural Address Series Research in Management EIA-2008-035-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- David Ling & Milena Petrova, 2008. "Avoiding Taxes at Any Cost: The Economics of Tax-Deferred Real Estate Exchanges," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 367-404, May.
- William G. Hardin, III & Marvin L. Wolverton, 1999. "Equity REIT Property Acquisitions: Do Apartment REITs Pay a Premium?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(1), pages 113-126.
- George H. Lentz & Ko Wang, 1998. "Residential Appraisal and the Lending Process: A Survey of Issues," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 11-40.
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Burcu Eyigungor, 2011. "A quantitative analysis of the U.S. housing and mortgage markets and the foreclosure crisis," Working Papers 11-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Thomas M. Carroll & Terrence M. Clauretie & Helen R. Neill, 1997. "Effect of Foreclosure Status on Residential Selling Price: Comment," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(1), pages 95-102.
- Fred A. Forgey & Ronald C. Rutherford & Michael L. VanBuskirk, 1994. "Effect of Foreclosure Status on Residential Selling Price," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(3), pages 313-318.
- William G. Hardin, III & Marvin L. Wolverton, 1996. "The Relationship between Foreclosure Status and Apartment Price," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 101-109.
- Jerry T. Haag & Ronald C. Rutherford & Thomas A. Thomson, 2000. "Real Estate Agent Remarks: Help or Hype?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 20(1), pages 205-215.
- Harding, John P. & Rosenblatt, Eric & Yao, Vincent W., 2012. "The foreclosure discount: Myth or reality?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 204-218.
- Terrence Clauretie & Nasser Daneshvary, 2011. "The Optimal Choice for Lenders Facing Defaults: Short Sale, Foreclose, or REO," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 504-521, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.