Effekte und Wahlverhalten: Das Beispiel der Münchner Allianz-Arena
AbstractWe investigate at the precinct-level the 2001 stadium referendum for the Allianz-Arena inMunich, where voters had to decide upon a projected site as well as on public subsidies for provision of transport infrastructure. This is the first analysis of a stadium referendum with respect to the spatial dimension outside the U.S. The new arena, which is the home venue of the professional soccer clubs FC Bayern Mu¨ nchen and TSV 1860 Mu¨ nchen and also was a major venue during the FIFAWorld Cup 2006 clearly won the approval of a majority of voters in one of the referendums with the largest participation in the history of Munich. However, in proximity of the projected site, residents strongly opposed the project, which reflects in significantly reduced shares of yes-votes. Assuming rationality, we conclude that at city level residents expected an increase in utility from the new arena that justified public expenses. However, our results also point to considerable proximity cost, probably related to the presence of fan crowds and congestion. This finding contradicts the existing evidence on stadium impact from the U.S. There are also major differences in the socio-economic determinants of voting behavior, indicating that the expected net-benefit of proximity to professional sports facilities may vary across sports and countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 230 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Professional sports; stadium impact; referendums; external effects; urban economics; regional economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel M. AHLFELDT & Arne FEDDERSEN, 2010.
"Geography Of A Sports Metropolis,"
Region et Developpement,
Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 31, pages 11-36.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Arne Feddersen, 2008. "Geography of a Sports Metropolis," IASE Conference Papers 0802, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Arne Feddersen, 2007. "Geography of a Sports Metropolis," Working Papers 015, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Arne Feddersen, 2008. "Geography of a Sports Metropolis," Working Papers 0834, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Gerald Carlino & N. Edward Coulson, 2002.
"Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL,"
02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2004. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Ahlfeldt, Gabriel M. & Maennig, Wolfgang, 2010.
"Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin," Working Papers 0703, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Quigley, John M. & Smolensky, Eugene, 1997. "Stickball in San Francisco," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt3rw313m3, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Melanie Arntz & Ralf A. Wilke, 2007. "An application of cartographic area interpolation to German administrative data," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 159-180, August.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2000.
"“The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach,”,"
0014, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2001. "The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(1), pages 6-21, February.
- BK. Johnson & JC. Whitehead, 2000. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: the CVM approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 48-58, 01.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2006. "Proximity benefits and voting on stadium and arena subsidies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 285-299, March.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Matthias Ottmann, 2011. "Perspektiven des deutschen Immobilienmarktes und wirtschaftspolitische Herausforderungen," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(2), pages 192-214, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.