Estimating the Effect of Vocational Training on Unemployment Duration in West Germany: A Discrete Hazard Rate Model with Instrumental Variables
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the effect of vocational training on individual unemployment duration in West Germany. The database used in this study is the German Socio-Economic Panel (GSOEP) for West Germany for the period from 1984 to 1994. The econometric model is a semi-parametric single risk discrete time duration model. To take into account a possible selection bias, an instrumental variable for actual participation in vocational training is used. This instrumental variable is the predicted participation propensity obtained by estimating a probit model for the participation in vocational training measures. The main results show that prior participation does have a significant effect on the reduction of unemployment duration in the short run. However, this effect does not persist in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 218 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5+6 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
discrete hazard models; vocational training; selection bias; instrumental variables;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rabe, Birgitta, 2000. "Wirkungen aktiver Arbeitsmarktpolitik: Evaluierungsergebnisse für Deutschland, Schweden, Dänemark und die Niederlande ; Gutachten im Auftrag des Bundeskanzleramtes für die Benchmarking-Gruppe des B," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 00-208, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2001.
"Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects After Foreign Acquisition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2003. "Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects after Foreign Acquisitions," IZA Discussion Papers 706, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.