Efficiency Measures For Spanish Retailing Firms In A Regulated Market
AbstractThe objective of this work is to analyze the impact on Spanish retail firms¡¯ efficiency of the regulatory process experienced in the period 1996-2002. The intangible nature of services makes them more difficult to quantify, so we combine work measurements with the methodology of the stochastic frontier production function for unbalanced panel data, and for which the firm effects are an exponential function of time. Furthermore, we obtain other relevant technological measurements of these productive processes such as the scale and the technical progress parameters. Our econometric results show great heterogeneity in the firms¡¯ efficiency but without change over the period and the predominance of decreasing returns to scale. They also indicate that technological progress was produced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 32 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Efficiency; Regulation; Retail Sector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Regulatory Reform in Road Freight and Retail Distribution," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 255, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.