Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers
AbstractEmpirical techniques commonly used in industrial organization to measure market power exertion typically assume imperfectly competitive behaviour by firms on only one side of the market. Firms on the other side are assumed to be perfectly competitive. In this paper we extend traditional NEIO methods by developing a method to estimate market power exertion when firms on both sides have potential market power. Using Monte Carlo simulations, we find that the model correctly estimates market power exercised by firms on either or both sides of a market and also correctly estimates firms' technology parameters. When applied to the US leaf tobacco market, findings indicate that cigarette manufacturers exert some monopsony power in purchasing leaf tobacco while producers, organized as a cartel, exhibit no countervailing monopoly market power. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990.
"The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
90-10, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Pollak, Robert A. & Wales, Terence J., 1991. "The likelihood dominance criterion : A new approach to model selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 227-242, February.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Working Papers 90-10, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Brown, A. Blake & Martin, Laura L., 1996. "Price Versus Quota Reductions: U.S. Flue-Cured Tobacco Policy," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1979. "Testing price taking behavior," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 283-294, February.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-62, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1989.
"Monopsony Power in the Market for Nurses,"
NBER Working Papers
3031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sumner, Daniel A, 1981. "Measurement of Monopoly Behavior: An Application to the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 1010-19, October.
- William M. Boal & Michael R. Ransom, 1997. "Monopsony in the Labor Market," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 86-112, March.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Sullivan, Daniel, 1987. "Nonparametric Tests of Market Structure: An Application to the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 483-98, June.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Roger Feldman & Richard Scheffler, 1982. "The union impact on hospital wages and fringe benefits," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 35(2), pages 196-206, January.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Kerkvliet, Joe, 1989. "Dual Measures of Monopoly and Monopsony Power: An Application to Regulated Electric Utilities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 250-57, May.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1985. "Testing Hypotheses about Firm Behavior in the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 586-98, June.
- Friedman, James W, 1971. "A Non-cooperative Equilibrium for Supergames," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(113), pages 1-12, January.
- Dae-Wook Kim & Christopher R. Knittel, 2004.
"Biases in Static Oligopoly Models? Evidence from the California Electricity Market,"
NBER Working Papers
10895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Knittel & Dae-Wook Kim, 2005. "Biases in Static Oligopoly Models?:Evidence from the California Electricity Market," Working Papers 526, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Xia, Tian & Sancewich, Brian, 2012. "Retail Markets and Buyer Power in Agricultural Procurements," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124929, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:eso:journl:v:35:y:2004:i:3:p:289-304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kellie Curry Raper & Corinna Noelke, 2004. "Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers: are nonparametrics a viable alternative?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2265-2274.
- Noelke, Corinna M. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 1998. "Parametric And Nonparametric Market Power Tests: An Empirical Investigation," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20875, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mujawamariya, Gaudiose & Burger, Kees & D'Haese, Marijke F.C., 2012. "Behaviour and performance of traders in the gum arabic supply chain in Senegal: Investigating oligopsonistic myths," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126236, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Griffith, Garry R. & Nightingale, John J. & Piggott, Roley R., 2003. "Testing for Market Power in the Australian Grains and Oilseeds Industries: Further Results," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57930, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.