Operations, Quality, and Profitability in the Provision of Banking Services
AbstractWe develop a framework for combining strategic benchmarking with efficiency benchmarking of the services offered by bank branches. In particular, a cascade of efficiency benchmarking models is developed guided by the service-profit chain. Three models---based on the nonparametric technique of Data Envelopment Analysis---are developed in order to implement the framework in a practical setting: (i) an operational efficiency model, (ii) a service quality efficiency model, and (iii) a profitability efficiency model. The use of the models is illustrated using data from the branches of a commercial bank. Empirical results indicate that we gain superior insights by analyzing simultaneously the design of operations together with the quality of the provided services and profitability, rather than by benchmarking these three dimensions separately. Relationships are also established between operational efficiency and profitability, and between operational efficiency and service quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
banking services; DEA; efficiency; profitability; service quality;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Peter K.C. & Cheng, T.C. Edwin & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An empirical study of transformational leadership, team performance and service quality in retail banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 690-701, December.
- Walczuch,Rita & Bielowski,Alexander, 2002. "From Measurement to Management: the Influence of IT on Service Operations," Research Memorandum 073, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Gomez, Miguel I. & McLaughlin, Edward W. & Wittink, Dick R., 2003. "Do Changes In Customer Satisfaction Lead To Changes In Performance In Food Retailing?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22048, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Piot-Lepetit, Isabelle & Nzongang, Joseph, 2014. "Financial sustainability and poverty outreach within a network of village banks in Cameroon: A multi-DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 319-330.
- Haas, David A. & Murphy, Frederic H., 2003. "Compensating for non-homogeneity in decision-making units in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 530-544, February.
- Zervopoulos, Panagiotis & Vargas, Francisco & Cheng, Gang, 2011. "A rational road to effectiveness attainment," MPRA Paper 31202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Portela, Maria Conceicao A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2007. "Comparative efficiency analysis of Portuguese bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1275-1288, March.
- Aude Hubrecht-Deville & Herve Leleu, 2008.
"Impact of trade area environment on bank's comparative advantages,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(17), pages 2209-2219.
- Aude Hubrecht & Hervé Leleu, 2004. "Impact of Trade Area Environment on Bank’s Comparative Advantages," Working Papers CREGO 1041201, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Yee, Rachel W.Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2011. "The service-profit chain: An empirical analysis in high-contact service industries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 236-245, April.
- Hodonou DANNON, 2009. "Efficacité et productivité des banques de la zone UEMOA dans un contexte de réformes financières. Une application de la méthode DEA (Banks efficiency and productivity in the WAEMU in a context of," Working Papers 216, Laboratoire de Recherche sur l'Industrie et l'Innovation. ULCO / Research Unit on Industry and Innovation.
- Yee, Rachel W.Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2010. "An empirical study of employee loyalty, service quality and firm performance in the service industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 109-120, March.
- Aude Hubrecht & Fabienne Guerra, 2005. "Mesure De La Performance Globale Des Agences Bancaires : Une Application De La Méthode Dea," Post-Print halshs-00581212, HAL.
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos & Mar Molinero, Cecilio, 2007. "Microfinance institutions and efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-142, April.
- Shimshak, Daniel G. & Lenard, Melanie L. & Klimberg, Ronald K., 2009. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis of nursing home performance: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 672-685, June.
- Aude Deville & Gary D. Ferrier & Hervé Leleu, 2009. "Performance measures for hierarchical organizations: Frontier analysis as a decision support tool," Working Papers 2009-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Gomez, Miguel I. & McLaughlin, Edward W. & Wittink, Dick R., 2003. "Do Changes in Customer Satisfaction Lead to Changes in Sales Performance in Food Retailing?," Working Papers 127195, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Zhang, Rui & Chiang, Wen-Chyuan & Wu, Cheng, 2014. "Investigating the impact of operational variables on manufacturing cost by simulation optimization," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 147(PC), pages 634-646.
- Carsten Horn & Markus Rudolf, 2011. "Service quality in the private banking business," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Luo, Xueming, 2003. "Evaluating the profitability and marketability efficiency of large banks: An application of data envelopment analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 627-635, August.
- Zeynep Ton, 2008. "The Effect of Labor on Profitability: The Role of Quality," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-040, Harvard Business School, revised Jul 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.