Analysis and Generalisation of a Multivariate Exponential Smoothing Model
AbstractThe multivariate exponential smoothing model of Enns, Machak, Spivey and Wrobleski is examined and it is found that its structure is such that it can be estimated by using techniques designed for a univariate exponential smoothing model. Similarly forecasts can be made using algorithms for the univariate model. The model can therefore be handled very easily. A more general univariate time series model, which can include polynomial trends and seasonal factors, is then set up and a multivariate generalisation, analogous to the multivariate exponential smoothing model, is introduced. It is shown that this model can also be handled using algorithms designed for the univariate case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 32 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
multiple time series; exponential smoothing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dimitrios D. Thomakos & Konstantinos Nikolopoulos, 2013. "Forecasting multivariate time series with the Theta Method," Working Papers 13004, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Triantafyllopoulos, Kostas, 2006. "Multivariate discount weighted regression and local level models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(12), pages 3702-3720, August.
- Corberán-Vallet, Ana & Bermúdez, José D. & Vercher, Enriqueta, 2011. "Forecasting correlated time series with exponential smoothing models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 252-265, April.
- K. Triantafyllopoulos, 2008. "Multivariate stochastic volatility with Bayesian dynamic linear models," Papers 0802.0214, arXiv.org.
- González, Fernando & Launonen, Simo, 2005. "Towards European monetary integration: the evolution of currency risk premium as a measure for monetary convergence prior to the implementation of currency unions," Working Paper Series 0569, European Central Bank.
- Croux, Christophe & Gelper, Sarah & Mahieu, Koen, 2010. "Robust exponential smoothing of multivariate time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 2999-3006, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.