Untangling the Effects of Purchase Reinforcement and Advertising Carryover
AbstractThe dynamic evolvement of market share of a brand in a frequently purchased product category can be driven by two effects, purchase reinforcement, and advertising carryover. The first depends on the actual experience with the brand while the second on the retention of its producer's messages. We present a model to estimate simultaneously the relative magnitude of these two forces. The model also formally treats the issue of temporal aggregation. Our empirical results with several product categories indicate that for monthly and bi-monthly measurement periods, purchase reinforcement dominates carryover of advertising in affecting the evolution of market share.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 9 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
advertising; lagged effect; purchase feedback;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sina Henningsen & Rebecca Heuke & Michel Clement, 2011. "Determinants of Advertising Effectiveness: The Development of an International Advertising Elasticity Database and a Meta-Analysis," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 193-239, December.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik & Helsen, Kristiaan, 2008.
"Weathering product-harm crises,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/205823, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik & Helsen, K, 2006. "Weathering product-harm crises," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/121040, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Cleeren, K. & Dekimpe, M.G. & Helsen, K., 2008. "Weathering product-harm crises," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-321393, Tilburg University.
- repec:zwi:journl:v:6:y:2011:i:4:p:335-353 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.