Shareholders' Unanimity With Incomplete Markets
AbstractWhen markets are incomplete, shareholders typically disagree on the firm's optimal investment plan. This article studies the shareholders' preferences with respect to the firm's investment in a model with aggregate risk, incomplete markets and heterogeneous households who trade in firms' shares instead of directly accumulating physical capital. If the production function exhibits constant returns to scale and borrowing limits are not binding, a firm's shareholders unanimously agree on its optimal level of investment. In contrast, with binding borrowing constraints, constrained shareholders prefer a higher level of investment than unconstrained ones. Copyright � (2009) by the Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 50 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Daniele Coen-Pirani & Eva Carceles-Poveda, . "Shareholders Unanimity With Incomplete Markets," GSIA Working Papers 2005-E13, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Daniele Coen-Pirani, 2004. "Shareholders Unanimity With Incomplete Markets," 2004 Meeting Papers 479, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anagnostopoulos, Alexis & Cárceles-Poveda, Eva & Lin, Danmo, 2012.
"Dividend and capital gains taxation under incomplete markets,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(7), pages 599-611.
- Alexis Anagnostopoulos & Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2010. "Dividend and Capital Gains Taxation under Incomplete Markets," Department of Economics Working Papers 10-06, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Teranishi, Yuki, 2008.
"A dynamic new Keynesian life-cycle model: Societal aging, demographics, and monetary policy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2398-2427, August.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2007. "A Dynamic New Keynesian Life-Cycle Model: Societal Ageing, Demographics and Monetary Policy," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-04, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Nils Gornemann & Keith Kuester & Makoto Nakajima, 2012.
"Monetary policy with heterogeneous agents,"
12-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Krusell, Per & Mukoyama, Toshihiko & Sahin, Aysegul, 2009.
"Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7429, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & AyşegÃ¼l Şahin, 2010. "Labour-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1477-1507.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & Aysegul Sahin, 2009. "Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 15282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & Ayseg ul Sahin, 2007. "Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001783, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2009.
"Asset Prices and Business Cycles under Market Incompleteness,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(3), pages 405-422, July.
- Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2008. "Code and data files for "Asset Prices and Business Cycles under Market Incompleteness"," Computer Codes 05-114, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Arpad Abraham & Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2006.
"Complete Markets, Enforcement Constraints and Intermediation,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
320, Society for Computational Economics.
- Eva Carceles-Poveda & Arpad Abraham, 2005. "Complete Markets, Enforcement Constraints and Intermediation," 2005 Meeting Papers 661, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Arpad Abraham & Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2010. "Competitive Equilibria with Production and Limited Commitment," Department of Economics Working Papers 10-04, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.