Household labor supply: evidence for Spain
AbstractThis paper estimates and tests household labor supply models for Spain within a structural approach. Following Fortin and Lacroix (1997), we postulate a general system of labor supplies and we obtain the set of parametric restrictions imposed by the unitary and collective models of household labor supply. The empirical results clearly reject the restrictions of the unitary model, while the restrictions of the collective model cannot be rejected. Futhermore, we verify that the estimated labor supply elasticities agree with the empirical regularities observed in other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Economicas.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Macurdy, Thomas, 1999.
"Labor supply: A review of alternative approaches,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1559-1695
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1997.
"Introducing Household Production in Collective Models of Labor Supply,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 191-209, February.
- Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Introducing Household Production in Collective Models of Labour Suply," DELTA Working Papers 94-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1988. "Rational Household Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 63-90, January.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1996.
"Collective Labor Supply and Household Production,"
301, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Laura Crespo, 2005. "Estimation And Testing Of Household Labour Supply Models: Evidence From Spain," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.