Risk and return of publicly held versus privately owned banks
AbstractThe author divides bank holding companies (BHCs) into four size classes, then categorizes each class according to public or private ownership. He compares the performance and risk across bank size classes between 1986 and 2000 and in five-year windows therein. For the largest BHCs, returns on assets and operating costs do not depend on ownership, but for the smaller BHCs, returns on assets are lower and operating costs are higher for those that are publicly owned. Small public BHCs also hold more capital than do small private ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Economic Policy Review.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Houston, Joel F. & James, Christopher, 1995. "CEO compensation and bank risk Is compensation in banking structured to promote risk taking?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 405-431, November.
- Rebel A. Cole & Hamid Mehran, 1996.
"The effect of changes in ownership structure on performance: evidence from the thrift industry,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-6, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- A. Cole, Rebel & Mehran, Hamid, 1998. "The effect of changes in ownership structure on performance: Evidence from the thrift industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 291-317, December.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Esty, Benjamin C., 1997. "Organizational form and risk taking in the savings and loan industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 25-55, April.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1983. "The Structure of Ownership and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 375-90, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Saunders, Anthony & Strock, Elizabeth & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1990. " Ownership Structure, Deregulation, and Bank Risk Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 643-54, June.
- Jain, Bharat A & Kini, Omesh, 1994. " The Post-Issue Operating Performance of IPO Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1699-1726, December.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Warner, Jerold B., 1988.
"The distribution of power among corporate managers, shareholders, and directors,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 3-24, January.
- Jensen, M.C. & Wamer, J.B., 1988. "The Distribution Of Power Among Corporate Managers, Shareholders, And Directors," Papers 88-06, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan & Shah, Kshitij, 1997. "Ownership and operating performance of companies that go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-307, June.
- Catherine Schrand & Haluk Unal, 1998. "Hedging and Coordinated Risk Management: Evidence from Thrift Conversions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 979-1013, 06.
- Thierno Amadou Barry & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2011.
"Ownership structure and risk in publicly held and privately owned Banks,"
- Barry, Thierno Amadou & Lepetit, Laetitia & Tarazi, Amine, 2011. "Ownership structure and risk in publicly held and privately owned banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1327-1340, May.
- Thierno Amadou Barry & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2011. "Ownership Structure and Risk in Publicly Held and Privately Owned Banks," Post-Print hal-00918543, HAL.
- Webb Cooper, Elizabeth, 2009. "Monitoring and governance of private banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 253-264, May.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Ioannis, Daniilidis & Manthos, Delis, 2013.
"Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies,"
50830, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Daniilidis, Ioannis & Delis, Manthos D., 2014. "Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 58-83.
- Elizabeth W. Cooper, 2011. "Determinants of off-balance sheet usage in private banks," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 248-259, October.
- Eliana Balla & Morgan J. Rose, 2011. "Loan loss reserves, accounting constraints, and bank ownership structure," Working Paper 11-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Yu, Peiyi & Neus, Werner, 2005. "Market Structure, Scale Efficiency, and Risk as Determinants of German Banking Profitability," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 294, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Frank Schmielewski & Thomas Wein, 2012. "Are private banks the better banks? An insight into the principal-agent structure and risk-taking behavior of German banks," Working Paper Series in Economics 236, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Iannotta, Giuliano & Nocera, Giacomo & Sironi, Andrea, 2007. "Ownership structure, risk and performance in the European banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2127-2149, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.