Unemployment and economic welfare
AbstractStatistics that measure labor market activity are often interpreted as measures of economic performance and social well being. This article demonstrates that such interpretations are not justified in the absence of information concerning the economic circumstances that determine individual labor market choices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1998)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andolfatto, D. & Gomme, P. & Storer, P., 1996.
"U.S. Labour Market Policy and the Canada-U.S. Unemployment Rate Gap,"
9604, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- David Andolfattio & Paul Gomme & Paul A. Storer, 1998. "US Labour Market Policy and the Canada-US Unemployment Rate Gap," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 210-232, February.
- Juster, F Thomas & Stafford, Frank P, 1991.
"The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioral Models, and Problems of Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 471-522, June.
- Juster, F. Thomas & Stafford, Frank P., 1990. "The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioural Models, and Problems of Measurement," Working Paper Series 258, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Gary Burtless, 1998. "Relative Unemployment in Canada and the United States: An Assessment," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 254-263, February.
- Andolfatto, David & Gomme, Paul, 1996. "Unemployment insurance and labor-market activity in Canada," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 47-82, June.
- Richard Rogerson, 1997. "Theory Ahead of Language in the Economics of Unemployment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 73-92, Winter.
- Warren W. Eason, 1957. "Labor Force Materials for the Study of Unemployment in the Soviet Union," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement and Behavior of Unemployment, pages 389-438 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burdett, Kenneth, et al, 1984. "Earnings, Unemployment, and the Allocation of Time over Time," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 559-78, October.
- Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau, 2008.
"Credit, Vacancies and Unemployment Fluctuations,"
2008 Meeting Papers
640, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.