Depression in the north - boom and bust in Sweden and Finland, 1985-93
AbstractA comparison of the boom-and-bust cycle of Sweden and Finland during 198593 reveals remarkable similarities. We examine macroeconomic developments during the period with a special emphasis on asset market developments. The seeds of the crisis were »traditional» Nordic problems combined with the consequences of late deregulation of financial markets. We identify five factors that were present in both countries and that account for the depth of the downturn: an »ordinaly» cyclical downturn, a real interest rate shock, asset price deflation with balance sheet consolidation, financial fragility and slow structural adjustment. Differences in policy response are analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1990.
"What Does the Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?,"
NBER Working Papers
2626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1990. "What does the term structure tell us about future inflation?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1988. "What Does The Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?," Papers fb-_88-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Financial Deregulation, Credit Boom and Banking Crisis: The Case of Norway," Papers 15-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Nouriel Roubini, 1996. "Budget deficits, public sector solvency and political biases in fiscal policy : a case study of Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 18-36, Spring.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 435-39, May.
- Kaufman, Roger T., 1988. "An international comparison of Okun's laws," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 182-203, June.
- Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2011. "Lessons from the crisis in Finland and Sweden in the 1990s," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 53-69, February.
- Evridiki Tsounta, 2011. "Home Sweet Home: Government?s Role in Reaching the American Dream," IMF Working Papers 11/191, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonung, Lars & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tujula, Mika, 2005.
"The boom-bust cycle in Finland and Sweden 1984-1995 in an international perspective,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2006/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lars Jonung & Ludger Schuknecht & Mika Tujula, 2005. "The boom-bust cycle in Finland and Sweden 1984-1995 in an international perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 237, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Lars Jonung & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2008. "The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000," European Economy - Economic Papers 350, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.