A search theoretical analysis of the Finnish unemployment insurance system
AbstractThis paper studies the effects of the Finnish unemployment insurance on the re-employment of unemployed workers using a search theoretical framework. It is well known that the unemployment benefits have a negative effect on the re-employment. In this paper it is shown that the re-employment probability can be increased by lowering the costs of re-employment. Furthermore, it is shown that the qualifying waiting period has only a slight positive effect on the hazard function, but removing of the mobility rules and reduction of benefits after a fixed period of unemployment substantially increase the re-employment probability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1977. "Unemployment insurance and job search decisions," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 505-517, July.
- Kettunen, Juha, 1996. "Duration-dependent features of unemployment insurance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 115-121, April.
- Kettunen, Juha, 1997. "Education and unemployment duration," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 163-170, April.
- Kettunen, Juha, 2002. "Labour mobility of unemployed workers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 359-380, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.