Macro-regional evaluation of the structural funds using the Hermin modelling framework
AbstractMacro-regional evaluation of the Structural Funds using the HERMIN modelling framework (di John Bradley, Edgar Morgenroth and Gerhard Untiedt) - ABSTRACT: A particular focus of the Structural Funds is on Objective 1 regions that lag behind in terms of their GDP per capita relative to the EU average. The amount of investment that is funded through the Structural Funds by the EU is substantial and consequently EU legislation requires the appraisal of the policies undertaken. Our modelling framework HERMIN has been widely applied to Structural Fund analysis at the national level and macro-regional level. The HERMIN framework is based on a small open economy model. Importantly it incorporates mechanisms, which are based on the endogenous growth literature, which allow it to capture the long-run supply side impact of the Structural Funds along with the short run Keynesian impact. This paper reviews this modelling framework and shows the impact that the Structural Funds appear to have had during the 1994-1999 programming period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal SCIENZE REGIONALI.
Volume (Year): 2003/3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=103
Other versions of this item:
- John Bradley & Edgar Morgenroth & Gerhard Untiedt, 2003. "Macro-Regional Evaluation of the Structural Funds Using the HERMIN Modelling Framework," Papers WP152, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- John Bradley & Edgar Morgenroth & Gerhard Untiedt, 2003. "Macro-regional evaluation of the Structural Funds using the HERMIN modelling framework," ERSA conference papers ersa03p313, European Regional Science Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl & Wright, Jonathan, 1995. "HERMIN Ireland," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 249-274, July.
- Wei Fan & Frederick Treyz & George Treyz, 2000. "An Evolutionary New Economic Geography Model," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 671-695.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri L.F. de Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2002. "Fertile Soil for Structural Funds?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-096/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gabriele Tondl, 1999. "What Determined the Uneven Growth of Europe´s Southern Regions? An Empirical Study with Panel Data," Working Papers geewp04, Vienna University of Economics and B.A. Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl, 1997. "The Irish expansionary fiscal contraction: A tale from one small European economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 175-201, April.
- Bradley, John & Fitzgerald, John, 1988. "Industrial output and factor input determination in an econometric model of a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1227-1241, July.
- Sjed Ederveen & Joeri Gorter & Ruud de Mooij & Richard Nahuis, 2003. "Funds and Games: The Economics of European Cohesion Policy," Occasional Papers 03, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Simeonova-Ganeva, Ralitsa & Ganev, Kaloyan, 2013. "Ефекти От Политиките, Финансирани От Европейските Фондове: Оценяване На Въздействието На Инвестициите В Обр�," MPRA Paper 48176, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Esposti, 2008. "Regional growth convergence and EU policies: Empirical evidence and measuring problems," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(1), pages 14-22, 04.
- Moretti, Luigi, 2004.
"I modelli macroeconomici per la valutazione dell'impatto dei Fondi strutturali nelle economie a Obiettivo 1
[Macroeconomic Models Used for the Impact Evaluation of the Structural Funds in Objective," MPRA Paper 18868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tangian, Andranik S., 2005. "Composite indicator of German regional policy and its use for optimizing subsidies to regional labour markets," WSI Discussion Papers 138, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Miroslav Å ipikal, 2011. "Effectiveness of structural funds â€“ microlevel perspective (case of Slovakia)," ERSA conference papers ersa11p473, European Regional Science Association.
- John Bradley & Timo Mitze & Edgar Morgenroth & Gerhard Untiedt, 2005. "An Integrated Micro-Macro (IMM) Approach to the Evaluation of Large-scale Public Investment Programmes: The Case of EU Structural Funds," Papers WP167, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Edgar Morgenroth, 2006. "Economic Integration and Structural Change: The Case of Irish Regions," Papers WP176, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.