Does institutional reform of intellectual property rights lead to more inbound FDI? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean
AbstractLeveraging a 14-year panel of 18 Latin American and Caribbean countries, we advance the institution-based view in international business research by focusing on how institutional reform of intellectual property rights (IPRs) matters in developing countries. We propose how the adoption timing of an international treaty, the Paris Convention on Industrial Property Rights, leads to more inbound foreign direct investment (FDI). Further, we propose how time spent with this IPR reform interacts with the host country's innovation base to affect inbound FDI. Our findings indicate that more reform time is negatively associated with inbound FDI, but FDI increases for more reform time within countries with substantial domestic innovation bases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalle Pajunen, 2008. "Institutions and inflows of foreign direct investment: a fuzzy-set analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 652-669, June.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Bruton, Garry & Ahlstrom, David & Yeh, Kuang S., 2004. "Understanding venture capital in East Asia: the impact of institutions on the industry today and tomorrow," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 72-88, February.
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Yuan Lu & Eric Tsang & Mike Peng, 2008. "Knowledge management and innovation strategy in the Asia Pacific: Toward an institution-based view," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 361-374, September.
- Pierre-Guillaume M�On & Khalid Sekkat & Laurent Weill, 2009. "Institutional Changes Now And Benefits Tomorrow: How Soon Is Tomorrow?," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 319-357, 07.
- Richard C. Levin & Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1987. "Appropriating the Returns from Industrial Research and Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 783-832.
- Gittelman, Michelle, 2006. "National institutions, public-private knowledge flows, and innovation performance: A comparative study of the biotechnology industry in the US and France," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1052-1068, September.
- Yadong Luo & Rosalie L Tung, 2007. "International expansion of emerging market enterprises: A springboard perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 481-498, July.
- Keith D Brouthers, 2002. "Institutional, Cultural and Transaction Cost Influences on Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 203-221, June.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- Michael Ferrantino, 1993. "The effect of intellectual property rights on international trade and investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 300-331, June.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1989. "Patents as a Measure of Innovative Activity," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 171-80.
- Allred, Brent B. & Park, Walter G., 2007. "The influence of patent protection on firm innovation investment in manufacturing industries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 91-109, June.
- David W Loree & Stephen E Guisinger, 1995. "Policy and Non-Policy Determinants of U.S. Equity Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 281-299, June.
- Mutti, John & Yeung, Bernard, 1996. "Section 337 and the Protection of Intellectual Property in the United States: The Complainants and the Impact," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 510-20, August.
- Yang, Deli, 2008. "Pendency and grant ratios of invention patents: A comparative study of the US and China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1035-1046, July.
- Mike W Peng & Denis Y L Wang & Yi Jiang, 2008. "An institution-based view of international business strategy: a focus on emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 920-936, July.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Ramamurti, Ravi & Doh, Jonathan P., 2004. "Rethinking foreign infrastructure investment in developing countries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 151-167, May.
- Andersen, Birgitte & Konzelmann, Sue, 2008. "In search of a useful theory of the productive potential of intellectual property rights," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 12-28, February.
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 2002. "Intellectual property rights and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 387-410, March.
- Mike W Peng & Rabi S Bhagat & Sea-Jin Chang, 2010. "Asia and global business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(3), pages 373-376, April.
- Puffer, Sheila M. & McCarthy, Daniel J., 2007. "Can Russia's state-managed, network capitalism be competitive?: Institutional pull versus institutional push," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Mehdi Farashahi & Taïeb Hafsi, 2009. "Strategy of firms in unstable institutional environments," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 643-666, December.
- John Dunning & Sarianna Lundan, 2008. "Institutions and the OLI paradigm of the multinational enterprise," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 573-593, December.
- Shane, Scott A., 1992. "Why do some societies invent more than others?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Susan E Feinberg & Sumit K Majumdar, 2001. "Technology Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 421-437, September.
- Forero-Pineda, Clemente, 2006. "The impact of stronger intellectual property rights on science and technology in developing countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 808-824, July.
- Costa, Ionara & de Queiroz, Sergio Robles Reis, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and technological capabilities in Brazilian industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1431-1443, December.
- Meyer, Klaus E. & Thein, Htwe Htwe, 2014. "Business under adverse home country institutions: The case of international sanctions against Myanmar," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 156-171.
- Yang, Zhenzeng, 2013. "Intellectual Property Rights Protection, Complexity and Multinational Firms," MPRA Paper 46734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yang, Deli & Sonmez, Mahmut, 2013. "Integration and divergence of patent systems across national and international institutions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 527-538.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.