Reducing inpatriate managers' 'Liability of Foreignness' by addressing stigmatization and stereotype threats
AbstractThe acceptance of 'others' in an organization can be a long and protracted process that can take years. Seldom is there a smooth assimilation into the corporate ranks for outsiders. Given the increasing number of inpatriate managers arriving in the domestic organizations of many global organizations, the issues impacting the acceptance of inpatriate managers by home-country managers will invariably increase. The purpose of this paper is to prescribe a program/process designed to suppress the stigmatization and stereotyping of inpatriate managers located in the home-country organization, as stereotype threats may impact not only the performance of the inpatriate managers but also the performance of an organization that is attempting to globalize its operations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 40 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, Michael G. & Buckley, M. Ronald, 1997. "Managing inpatriates: Building a global core competency," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-52, April.
- Calhoun, Mikelle A., 2002. "Unpacking liability of foreignness: identifying culturally driven external and internal sources of liability for the foreign subsidiary," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 301-321.
- Sethi, Deepak & Guisinger, Stephen, 2002. "Liability of foreignness to competitive advantage: How multinational enterprises cope with the international business environment," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 223-240.
- William J Bigoness & Gerald L Blakely, 1996. "A Cross-National Study of Managerial Values," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 739-748, December.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2002. "Mitigating liabilities of foreignness: Defensive versus offensive approaches," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 283-300.
- Harvey, Michael & Reiche, B. Sebastian & Moeller, Miriam, 2011. "Developing effective global relationships through staffing with inpatriate managers: The role of interpersonal trust," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 150-161, June.
- Denk, Nikola & Kaufmann, Lutz & Roesch, Jan-Frederik, 2012. "Liabilities of Foreignness Revisited: A Review of Contemporary Studies and Recommendations for Future Research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 322-334.
- Fang, Tony & Samnani, Al-Karim & Novicevic, Milorad M. & Bing, Mark N., 2013.
"Liability-of-foreignness effects on job success of immigrant job seekers,"
Journal of World Business,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 98-109.
- Fang, Tony & Samnani, Al-Karim & Novicevic, Milorad M. & Bing, Mark N., 2012. "Liability-of-Foreignness Effects on Job Success of Immigrant Job Seekers," IZA Discussion Papers 6742, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Griffith, David A., 2011. "Insights into gaining access to export financing: Understanding export lenders' ideal exporter profile," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 84-92, January.
- Joardar, Arpita & Kostova, Tatiana & Ravlin, Elizabeth C., 2007. "An experimental study of the acceptance of a foreign newcomer into a workgroup," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-537, December.
- Moeller, Miriam & Harvey, Michael & Griffith, David & Richey, Glenn, 2013. "The impact of country-of-origin on the acceptance of foreign subsidiaries in host countries: An examination of the ‘liability-of-foreignness’," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-99.
- Mendenhall, Mark E. & Reiche, B. Sebastian & Bird, Allan & Osland, Joyce S., 2012. "Defining the “global” in global leadership," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 493-503.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.