Building cooperative advantage: Managing strategic alliances to promote organizational learning
AbstractThis study focuses on the relationship between strategic alliances and organizational learning. Building cooperative advantage requires partners to realize that the dynamics of collaboration and learning are likely to evolve over distinct stages of alliance evolution. Although alliance relationships will require different sets of managerial skills and behaviors across these evolutionary stages, there are several factors that markedly shape the firm 's ability to learn over time. These include the nature of the shared business activity, the type of knowledge that is jointly developed, and the firm's reward system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 32 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baughn, C. Christopher & Denekamp, Johannes G. & Stevens, John H. & Osborn, Richard N., 1997. "Protecting intellectual capital in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 103-117, July.
- Hagedoorn, John & Schakenraad, Jos, 1994. "The effect of strategic technology alliances on company performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4308, Maastricht University.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2008. "Knowledge network dissemination in a family-firm sector," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2380-2389, December.
- Yannis A. HAJIDIMITRIOU & Nikolaos S. SKLAVOUNOS & Konstantinos P. ROTSIOS, 2012. "The Impact Of Trust On Knowledge Transfer In International Business Systems," Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences, University of Pitesti, vol. 11(2), pages 39-49.
- García-Canal, Esteban & Duarte, Cristina López & Criado, Josep Rialp & Llaneza, Ana Valdés, 2002. "Accelerating international expansion through global alliances: a typology of cooperative strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 91-107, July.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Understanding trust in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 219-240, October.
- Wang, Pien & Tong, Tony W. & Koh, Chun Peng, 2004. "An integrated model of knowledge transfer from MNC parent to China subsidiary," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 168-182, May.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Current issues in international alliances," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 2-3.
- Danskin, Paula & Dibrell, Clay & Kedia, Ben L., 2005. "The evolving role of cooperation among multinational corporations and indigenous organizations in transition economies: A migration away from confrontation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 223-234, August.
- Emden, Zeynep & Yaprak, Attila & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2005. "Learning from experience in international alliances: antecedents and firm performance implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(7), pages 883-892, July.
- Evangelista, Felicitas & Hau, Le Nguyen, 2009. "Organizational context and knowledge acquisition in IJVs: An empirical study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 63-73, January.
- Jiang, Xu & Li, Yuan, 2008. "The relationship between organizational learning and firms' financial performance in strategic alliances: A contingency approach," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 365-379, July.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Building trust in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 417-437, January.
- Duysters, G.M. & Heimeriks, K.H., 2002. "The influence of alliance capabilities on alliance performance: an empirical investigation," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.