Do Village Organizations Make a Difference in African Rural Development? A Study for Senegal and Burkina Faso
AbstractSummary Quantitative and qualitative analyses are used to assess the existence of village organizations (VOs), their performance, and members' participation in benefits in Senegal and Burkina Faso. VOs are classified into market-oriented (MOs) and community-oriented (COs). Results show that organizations are present in a majority of villages and include a high share of rural households. Diffusion of MOs is limited by isolation and social conservatism. Performance is constrained by low professional management capacity and lack of access to resources. With elaborate administrative rules in place, participation in benefits shows no occurrence of leader or elite capture in MOs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
village organizations management capacity resources Senegal Burkina Faso;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," Development and Comp Systems 0409060, EconWPA.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Fafchamps,M., 2004. "Social capital," Working papers 12, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Steven N. Durlauf, 2004. "Social Capital," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-14, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-14, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Thorp, Rosemary & Stewart, Frances & Heyer, Amrik, 2005. "When and how far is group formation a route out of chronic poverty?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 907-920, June.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital and Development," Economics Series Working Papers 214, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ghazala Mansuri, 2004.
"Community-Based and -Driven Development: A Critical Review,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-39.
- Mansuri, Ghazala & Rao, Vijayendra, 2004. "Community-based (and driven) development : A critical review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3209, The World Bank.
- Kuran, Timur, 1988. "The tenacious past: Theories of personal and collective conservatism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 143-171, September.
- Uphoff, Norman & Wijayaratna, C. M., 2000. "Demonstrated Benefits from Social Capital: The Productivity of Farmer Organizations in Gal Oya, Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 1875-1890, November.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1992. "Solidarity Networks in Preindustrial Societies: Rational Peasants with a Moral Economy," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 147-74, October.
- J-P. Platteau & A. Abraham, 2002. "Participatory Development in the Presence of Endogenous Community Imperfections," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 104-136.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Samuel Tambi Kaboré, 2004. "Croissance, inégalité et pauvreté dans les années quatre-vingt-dix au Burkina Faso et au Sénégal," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 18(2), pages 9-35.
- Uphoff, Norman, 1993. "Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2011.
"The Burkinabè Cotton Story 1992-2007: Sustainable Success or Sub-Saharan Mirage?,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1460-1475, August.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek D. & Bernard, Tanguy, 2010. "The Burkinabe Cotton Story 1999-2007: Sustainable Success of Sub-Saharan Mirage?," Discussion Papers 93137, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Salifu, Adam & Francesconi, Gian Nicola & Kolavalli, Shashidhara, 2010. "A review of collective action in rural Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 998, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Thomas, Alban, 2009. "Commodity Reform and Extensive Production Growth: Evidence from Burkinabè Cotton Farmers," TSE Working Papers 09-008, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012.
"The role of rural producer organizations for agricultural service provision in fragile states:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1235, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012. "The Role of Rural Producer Organizations for Agricultural Service Provision in Fragile States," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124657, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2009. "Institutional reform in the Burkinabè cotton sector and its impacts on incomes and food security: 1996-2006," IFPRI discussion papers 920, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gerichhausen, M. & Berkhout, E.D. & Hamers, H.J.M. & Manyong, V.M., 2009. "A quantitative framework to analyse cooperation between rural households," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 173-185, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.