Toll financing in Norway: The success, the failures and perspectives for the future
AbstractPublic funds for road investments have been subjected to constraints in many countries over the past three decades. Many governments have therefore resorted to financing road infrastructure using tolls. This article investigates what the future may offer with respect to toll financing in Norway. The changing environment in which transport planning takes place requires adaptations such as transforming tolls into congestion pricing schemes. Lessons from Norway may be useful for decision makers in Europe and elsewhere who are concerned with toll financing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorpe, Neil & Hills, Peter & Jaensirisak, Sittha, 2000. "Public attitudes to TDM measures: a comparative study," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 243-257, October.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 1997. "On public attitudes toward implementation of toll roads--the case of Oslo toll ring," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 73-83, April.
- Ison, S., 2000. "Local authority and academic attitudes to urban road pricing: a UK perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 269-277, October.
- Bråthen, Svein & Hervik, Arild, 1997. "Strait crossings and economic development : Developing economic impact assessment by means of ex post analyses," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 193-200, October.
- Vonk Noordegraaf, Diana & Annema, Jan Anne & van Wee, Bert, 2014. "Policy implementation lessons from six road pricing cases," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 172-191.
- Welde, Morten, 2011. "Demand and operating cost forecasting accuracy for toll road projects," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 765-771, September.
- Ho, H.W. & Wong, S.C. & Yang, Hai & Loo, Becky P.Y., 2005. "Cordon-based congestion pricing in a continuum traffic equilibrium system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 813-834.
- Ison, Stephen & Rye, Tom, 2003. "Lessons from travel planning and road user charging for policy-making: through imperfection to implementation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 223-233, July.
- Winslott-Hiselius, Lena & Brundell-Freij, Karin & Vagland, Asa & Byström, Camilla, 2009. "The development of public attitudes towards the Stockholm congestion trial," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 269-282, March.
- McArthur, D.P. & Thorsen, I. & Ubøe, J., 2012. "Labour market effects in assessing the costs and benefits of road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 310-321.
- Lauridsen, Henning, 2011. "The impacts of road tolling: A review of Norwegian experience," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 85-91, January.
- Guohui Zhang & Zhong Wang & Khali Persad & C. Walton, 2014. "Enhanced traffic information dissemination to facilitate toll road utilization: a nested logit model of a stated preference survey in Texas," Transportation, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 231-249, March.
- Geertje Schuitema & Linda Steg & Charles Vlek & Talib Rothengatter, 2005. "Effects of revenue use and perceived effectiveness on acceptability of transport pricing policies," ERSA conference papers ersa05p719, European Regional Science Association.
- Gudmundsson, Henrik & Ericsson, Eva & Hugosson, Muriel Beser & Rosqvist, Lena Smidfelt, 2009. "Framing the role of Decision Support in the case of Stockholm Congestion Charging Trial," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 258-268, March.
- Hensher, David A. & Li, Zheng, 2013. "Referendum voting in road pricing reform: A review of the evidence," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 186-197.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2008. "Travel demand elasticities and users attitudes: A case study of Norwegian toll projects," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 77-94, January.
- Teresa Palmer Tous & Antoni Riera Font, 2005. "Road transport taxation: a critical review of their internalising effectiveness," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 173(2), pages 165-191, June.
- Odeck, James, 2008. "How efficient and productive are road toll companies?: Evidence from Norway," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 232-241, July.
- Bruno DE BORGER & Stef PROOST, 2010.
"A political economy model of road pricing,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces10.20, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Georgina Santos & Laurent Rojey, 2004. "Distributional impacts of road pricing: The truth behind the myth," Transportation, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Welde, Morten & Odeck, James, 2011. "The efficiency of Norwegian road toll companies," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 162-171.
- Schade, J. & Baum, M., 2007. "Reactance or acceptance? Reactions towards the introduction of road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 41-48, January.
- Schuitema, Geertje & Steg, Linda & Forward, Sonja, 2010. "Explaining differences in acceptability before and acceptance after the implementation of a congestion charge in Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 99-109, February.
- Chung, Demi & Hensher, David A. & Rose, John M., 2010. "Toward the betterment of risk allocation: Investigating risk perceptions of Australian stakeholder groups to public-private-partnership tollroad projects," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 43-58.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.