Modelling user perception of bus transit quality
AbstractThis article evaluates how bus users perceive the quality of their public transport service. In particular it looks at how perception of quality varies according to the available information. The experiment compares an overall evaluation of service quality before and after making passengers reflect on the importance of certain fundamental system variables which they may not have previously considered. Focus groups were used to individualise the most relevant variables. A quality survey was carried out both on-board buses and at bus stops and the overall service quality was related to the aforementioned variables using ordered probit models. The perception of quality is shown to change with the category of user and that there tends to be more criticism towards variations in overall quality until the users are stimulated into thinking more deeply about other influential variables. The application of this methodology may provide operating companies with valuable information for planning marketing policies aimed at different categories of user, in order to improve the service quality and attract more passengers to using public transport.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hensher, David A. & Stanley, John, 2003. "Performance-based quality contracts in bus service provision," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 519-538, July.
- Hensher, David A. & Houghton, Erne, 2004. "Performance-based quality contracts for the bus sector: delivering social and commercial value for money," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 123-146, February.
- David A. Hensher & Paola Prioni, 2002. "A Service Quality Index for Area-wide Contract Performance Assessment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(1), pages 93-113, January.
- Hensher, David A. & Stopher, Peter & Bullock, Philip, 2003. "Service quality--developing a service quality index in the provision of commercial bus contracts," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 499-517, July.
- Eric N. AIDOO & William AGYEMANG & Jane E. MONKAH & Francis K. AFUKAAR, 2013. "Passenger’S Satisfaction With Public Bus Transport Services In Ghana: A Case Study Of Kumasi–Accra Route," Theoretical and Empirical Researches in Urban Management, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 8(2), pages 33-44, May.
- Schelenz, Tomasz & Suescun, Ángel & Karlsson, MariAnne & Wikström, Li, 2013. "Decision making algorithm for bus passenger simulation during the vehicle design process," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 178-185.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.