The estimation of generalized extreme value models from choice-based samples
AbstractIn the presence of choice-based sampling strategies for data collection, the property of multinomial logit (MNL) models, that consistent estimates of all parameters but the constants can be obtained from an exogenous sample maximum likelihood (ESML) estimation, does not hold in general for generalized extreme value (GEV) models. We propose a consistent ESML estimator for GEV models in this context. We first identify a specific class of GEV models with the desired property that, similarly to MNL, the constants absorb the potential bias. We then propose a new and simple weighted conditional maximum likelihood (WCML) estimator for the more general case. Contrarily to the weighted exogenous sample maximum likelihood (WESML) estimator by Manski and Lerman [Manski, C., Lerman, S., 1977. The estimation of choice probabilities from choice-based samples. Econometrica 45, 1977-1988], the new WCML estimator does not require an external knowledge of the market shares. We show that this applies also to the case where alternatives are sampled from a large choice set, and we illustrate the use of the estimator on synthetic and real data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1987. "A Misspecified Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 306-306, April.
- Imbens, Guido W, 1992.
"An Efficient Method of Moments Estimator for Discrete Choice Models with Choice-Based Sampling,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1187-214, September.
- Imbens, G.W., 1990. "An Efficient Method Of Moments Estimator For Descrete Choice Models With Choice-Based Sampling," Papers 9009, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Imbens, G.W., 1991. "An Efficient Method Of Moments Estimator For Discrete Choice Models With Choice-Based Sampling," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1546, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Imbens, G., 1990. "An Efficient Method of Moments Estimator for Discrete Choice Models with Choice-Based Sampling," Discussion Paper 1990-9, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Daly, Andrew & Bierlaire, Michel, 2006. "A general and operational representation of Generalised Extreme Value models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 285-305, May.
- Morgenthaler, S. & Vardi, Y., 1986. "Choice-based samples : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-125, June.
- Manski, Charles F & Lerman, Steven R, 1977. "The Estimation of Choice Probabilities from Choice Based Samples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1977-88, November.
- Monfort, Alain, 1991.
"Exogenous and Endogenous Sampling,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 417-417, September.
- Monfort, Alain, 1996. "A Reappraisal of Misspecified Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 597-619, October.
- Lemp, Jason D. & Kockelman, Kara M., 2012. "Strategic sampling for large choice sets in estimation and application," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 602-613.
- Brian Lee & Paul Waddell, 2010. "Residential mobility and location choice: a nested logit model with sampling of alternatives," Transportation, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 587-601, July.
- Stijn Kelchtermans & Frank Verboven, 2010. "Participation and study decisions in a public system of higher education," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 355-391.
- Balz R. Bodenmann, 2011. "Modelling firm (re-)location choice in UrbanSim," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1091, European Regional Science Association.
- Stijn Kelchtermans & Frank Verboven, 2007.
"Reducing product diversity in higher education,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0726, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Kelchtermans, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2007. "Reducing Product Diversity in Higher Education," CEPR Discussion Papers 6508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kelchtermans, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2007. "Reducing product diversity in higher education," Working Papers 2007/14, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Hindsley, Paul & Landry, Craig E. & Gentner, Brad, 2011. "Addressing onsite sampling in recreation site choice models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 95-110, July.
- Kelchtermans, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Program duplication in higher education is not necessarily bad," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(5-6), pages 397-409, June.
- Frejinger, E. & Bierlaire, M. & Ben-Akiva, M., 2009. "Sampling of alternatives for route choice modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 984-994, December.
- Mogens Fosgerau & Daniel L. McFadden & Michel Bierlaire, 2012.
"Choice Probability Generating Functions,"
NBER Working Papers
17970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pereira, Pedro & Ribeiro, Tiago & Vareda, João, 2013. "Delineating markets for bundles with consumer level data: The case of triple-play," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 760-773.
- Smirnov, Oleg A. & Egan, Kevin J., 2012. "Spatial random utility model with an application to recreation demand," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 72-78.
- Christopher Ksoll, 2007. "Family Networks and Orphan Caretaking in Tanzania," Economics Series Working Papers 361, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Newman, Jeffrey P. & Ferguson, Mark E. & Garrow, Laurie A., 2013. "Estimating GEV models with censored data," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 170-184.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.