A multi-objective train scheduling model and solution
AbstractThis paper develops a multi-objective optimization model for the passenger train-scheduling problem on a railroad network which includes single and multiple tracks, as well as multiple platforms with different train capacities. In this study, lowering the fuel consumption cost is the measure of satisfaction of the railway company and shortening the total passenger-time is being regarded as the passenger satisfaction criterion. The solution of the problem consists of two steps. First the Pareto frontier is determined using the [var epsilon]-constraint method, and second, based on the obtained Pareto frontier detailed multi-objective optimization is performed using the distance-based method with three types of distances. Numerical examples are given to illustrate the model and solution methodology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing & Shen, Ching-Cheng, 2000. "A multiobjective model for passenger train services planning: application to Taiwan's high-speed rail line," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 91-106, February.
- E. S. Savas, 1978. "On Equity in Providing Public Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(8), pages 800-808, April.
- Bowerman, Robert & Hall, Brent & Calamai, Paul, 1995. "A multi-objective optimization approach to urban school bus routing: Formulation and solution method," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 107-123, March.
- Kraay, David R. & Harker, Patrick T., 1995. "Real-time scheduling of freight railroads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 213-229, June.
- Hsu, Chaug-Ing & Wen, Yuh-Horng, 2000. "Application of Grey theory and multiobjective programming towards airline network design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 44-68, November.
- Higgins, A. & Kozan, E. & Ferreira, L., 1996. "Optimal scheduling of trains on a single line track," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 147-161, April.
- Sahin, Ismail, 1999. "Railway traffic control and train scheduling based oninter-train conflict management," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 511-534, September.
- Teng, Junn-Yuan & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 1996. "A multiobjective programming approach for selecting non-independent transportation investment alternatives," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 291-307, August.
- Carey, Malachy, 1994. "A model and strategy for train pathing with choice of lines, platforms, and routes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 333-353, October.
- Perugia, Alessandro & Moccia, Luigi & Cordeau, Jean-François & Laporte, Gilbert, 2011. "Designing a home-to-work bus service in a metropolitan area," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1710-1726.
- Enrique Castillo & Inmaculada Gallego & José Ureña & José Coronado, 2009. "Timetabling optimization of a single railway track line with sensitivity analysis," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 256-287, December.
- Lawley, Mark & Parmeshwaran, Vijay & Richard, Jean-Philippe & Turkcan, Ayten & Dalal, Malay & Ramcharan, David, 2008. "A time-space scheduling model for optimizing recurring bulk railcar deliveries," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 438-454, June.
- Chakroborty, Partha & Vikram, Durgesh, 2008. "Optimum assignment of trains to platforms under partial schedule compliance," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 169-184, February.
- KePing Li & ZiYou Gao & BaoHua Mao & ChengXuan Cao, 2011. "Optimizing Train Network Routing Using Deterministic Search," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 193-205, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.