Innovation and the geographical and organisational dimensions of outsourcing: Evidence from Italian firm-level data
AbstractThe paper investigates the diversified patterns of outsourcing in the Lombardy region and relates them to the probability of introducing product and process innovation. Based on a large firm-level survey, we show that outsourcing processes are strongly regionally embedded and that offshoring is still a limited phenomenon. Outsourcing strategies are shown to be positively related to firms' innovation. In particular, the outsourcing of service activities is mostly related to product innovation, thus suggesting that firms successfully pursue core strengthening strategies. Our econometric estimates show that both geographical and organisational proximity matter. Indeed, the positive association of services with innovation is strongly related to their regional dimension, which points towards the importance of local user-producer relationships. When outsourcing crosses national borders, keeping the outsourced activities within extended organisational boundaries (i.e. within the group or network of affiliates) appears relevant, particularly with reference to R&D activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Structural Change and Economic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/525148
Product innovation Process innovation Outsourcing Offshoring Italy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Howells, 1999. "Research and Technology Outsourcing and Innovation Systems: an Exploratory Analysis," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 111-129.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2003.
"Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment Level Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
361, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2004. "Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership, and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment-level Data," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 817-832, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2006. "Mobility of inventors and the geography of knowledge spillovers. New evidence on US data," KITeS Working Papers 184, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Oct 2006.
- Branzei, Oana & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2006. "Strategic pathways to product innovation capabilities in SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 75-105, January.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002.
"Outsourcing in a Global Economy?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1966, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Papers 218, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 8728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2005.
"Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing - From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking,"
DRUID Working Papers
05-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2007. "Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing: From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 239-257.
- Sorenson, Olav & Rivkin, Jan W. & Fleming, Lee, 2006. "Complexity, networks and knowledge flow," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 994-1017, September.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1998. "The social shaping of the national science base," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 793-805, December.
- Narula,Rajneesh, 1999. "In-house R&D, outsourcing or alliances? Some strategic and economic considerations," Research Memoranda 007, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-79, June.
- Volker Mahnke, 2001. "The Process of Vertical Dis-Integration: An Evolutionary Perspective on Outsourcing," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 353-379, September.
- Eiichi Tomiura, 2004.
"Foreign outsourcing and firm-level characteristics: evidence from Japanese manufacturers,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d04-64, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2005. "Foreign outsourcing and firm-level characteristics: Evidence from Japanese manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-271, June.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- DeBresson, Chris & Amesse, Fernand, 1991. "Networks of innovators :A review and introduction to the issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 363-379, October.
- Martínez-Ros, Ester, 1999.
"Explaining the decisions to carry out product and process innovations: the Spanish case,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/7815, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Martínez-Ros, Ester, . "Explaining the decisions to carry out product and process innovations: the Spanish case," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/6525, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- repec:pri:wwseco:149 is not listed on IDEAS
- James H. Love & Stephen Roper, 2001. "articles: Outsourcing in the innovation process: Locational and strategic determinants," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 317-336.
- Paul Windrum & Andreas Reinstaller & Christopher Bull, 2009. "The outsourcing productivity paradox: total outsourcing, organisational innovation, and long run productivity growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 197-229, April.
- Kevin Morgan, 1997. "The Learning Region: Institutions, Innovation and Regional Renewal," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 491-503.
- Parisi, Maria Laura & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Productivity, innovation and R&D: Micro evidence for Italy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2037-2061, November.
- Prencipe, Andrea, 1997. "Technological competencies and product's evolutionary dynamics a case study from the aero-engine industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1261-1276, January.
- Sdiri, Hanen & Ayadi, Mohamed, 2012.
"Innovation et externalisation des services: une analyse empirique sur données d'entreprises tunisiennes
[Innovation and outsourcing of services: a firm-level analysis]," MPRA Paper 39359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2010.
"User-producer relations, innovation and the evolution of market structures under alternative contractual regimes,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 26-40, March.
- Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo, 2009. "User-producer relations, innovation and the evolution of market structures under alternative contractual regimes," KITeS Working Papers 001, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Dec 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.