Improved penalization for determining the number of factors in approximate factor models
AbstractThe procedure proposed by Bai and Ng (2002) for identifying the number of factors in static factor models is revisited. In order to improve its performance, we introduce a tuning multiplicative constant in the penalty, an idea that was proposed by Hallin and Liska (2007) in the context of dynamic factor models. Simulations show that our method in general delivers more reliable estimates, in particular in the case of large idiosyncratic disturbances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 80 (2010)
Issue (Month): 23-24 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000.
"The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000. "The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BAING: RATS procedure to estimate factors in a factor model using Bai-Ng formulas," Statistical Software Components RTS00012, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2005. "Implications of Dynamic Factor Models for VAR Analysis," NBER Working Papers 11467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990.
"Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988. "Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills," NBER Technical Working Papers 0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jiazhu Pan & Qiwei Yao, 2008. "Modelling multiple time series via common factors," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(2), pages 365-379.
- Hallin, Marc & Liska, Roman, 2007. "Determining the Number of Factors in the General Dynamic Factor Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 603-617, June.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Alessio Moneta, 2012. "Identifying the Independent Sources of Consumption Variation," LEM Papers Series 2012/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Matteo Luciani & Libero Monteforte, 2012.
"Uncertainty and Heterogeneity in factor models forecasting,"
5, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Matteo Luciani & Libero Monteforte, 2013. "Uncertainty and heterogeneity in factor models forecasting," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 930, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nombulelo Gumata, Alain Kabundi and Eliphas Ndou, 2013. "Important Channels of Transmission Monetary Policy Shock in South Africa," Working Papers 375, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- AdÃ©l Bosch & Franz Ruch, 2012. "An alternative business cycle dating procedure for South Africa," Working Papers 267, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Godbout, Claudia & Lombardi, Marco J., 2012.
"Short-term forecasting of the Japanese economy using factor models,"
Working Paper Series
1428, European Central Bank.
- Claudia Godbout & Marco J. Lombardi, 2012. "Short-Term Forecasting of the Japanese Economy Using Factor Models," Working Papers 12-7, Bank of Canada.
- Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco, 2013.
"Factor models in high-dimensional time series—A time-domain approach,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 123(7), pages 2678-2695.
- Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi, 2013. "Factor Models in High-Dimensional Time Series: A Time-Domain Approach," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2013-15, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrew Stuart Duncan & Alain Kabundi, 2011. "Global Financial Crises and Time-varying Volatility Comovement in World Equity Markets," Working Papers 253, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Deniz Igan & Alain N. Kabundi & Francisco Nadal-De Simone & Natalia T. Tamirisa, 2013.
"Monetary Policy and Balance Sheets,"
IMF Working Papers
13/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2011.
"One-Sided Representations of Generalized Dynamic Factor Models,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2011-019, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2011. "One-Sided Representations of Generalized Dynamic Factor Models," DSS Empirical Economics and Econometrics Working Papers Series 2011/5, Centre for Empirical Economics and Econometrics, Department of Statistics, "Sapienza" University of Rome.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2011. "One-Sided Representations of Generalized Dynamic Factor Models," EIEF Working Papers Series 1106, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2011.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Maier, Philipp, 2011. "Forecasting economic growth in the euro area during the Great Moderation and the Great Recession," Working Paper Series 1379, European Central Bank.
- Rangan Gupta, 2012. "Forecasting House Prices for the Four Census Regions and the Aggregate US Economy: The Role of a Data-Rich Environment," Working Papers 201214, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Rangan Gupta & Mampho P. Modise & Josine Uwilingiye, 2011. "Out-of-Sample Equity Premium Predictability in South Africa: Evidence from a Large Number of Predictors," Working Papers 201122, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio M. Conti & Matteo Luciani, 2013. "Do euro area countries respond asymmetrically to the common monetary policy?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 923, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Goodness C. Aye & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "Forecasting the US Real Private Residential Fixed Investment Using Large Number of Predictors," Working Papers 201348, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Cheng, Xu & Liao, Zhipeng & Schorfheide, Frank, 2013. "Shrinkage estimation of high-dimensional factor models with structural instabilities," Working Papers 14-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Matteo Luciani & David Veredas, 2012. "A model for vast panels of volatilities," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1230, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ibarra, Raul, 2012. "Do disaggregated CPI data improve the accuracy of inflation forecasts?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1305-1313.
- Bai, Jushan & Liao, Yuan, 2012. "Efficient Estimation of Approximate Factor Models," MPRA Paper 41558, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.