Local likelihood density estimation on random fields
AbstractLocal likelihood methods hold considerable promise in density estimation. They offer unmatched flexibility and adaptivity as the resulting density estimators inherit both of the best properties of nonparametric approaches and parametric inference. However, the adoption of local likelihood methods with dependent observations, in particular with random fields, is inhibited by lack of knowledge about their properties in the case. In the present paper we detail asymptotic properties of the local likelihood density estimators for stationary random fields in the usual smoothing context of the bandwidth, h, tending to zero as the sample size tends to infinity. The asymptotic analysis is substantially more complex than in ordinary kernel density estimation on random fields.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 68 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tran, Lanh Tat, 1990. "Kernel density estimation on random fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 37-53, July.
- Tran, L. T. & Yakowitz, S., 1993. "Nearest Neighbor Estimators for Random Fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Biau, Gérard, 2002. "Optimal asymptotic quadratic errors of density estimators on random fields," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 297-307, December.
- Mohsen Arefi & Reinhard Viertl & S. Taheri, 2012. "Fuzzy density estimation," Metrika, Springer, vol. 75(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Jia Chen & Li-Xin Zhang, 2010. "Local linear M-estimation for spatial processes in fixed-design models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 319-340, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.