On the power of the Kolmogorov test to detect the trend of a Brownian bridge with applications to a change-point problem in regression models
AbstractGiven a Brownian bridge B0 with trend g:[0,1]-->[0,[infinity]), Y(z)=g(z)+B0(z),z[set membership, variant][0,1],we are interested in testing H0:g[reverse not equivalent]0 against the alternative K:g>0. For this test problem we study weighted Kolmogorov testswhere c>0 is a suitable constant and w:[0,1]-->[0,[infinity]) is a weight function. To do such an investigation a recent result of the authors on a boundary crossing probability of the Brownian bridge is useful. In case the trend is large enough we show an optimality property for weighted Kolmogorov tests. Furthermore, an additional property for weighted Kolmogorov tests is shown which is useful to find the more favourable weight for specific test problems. Finally, we transfer our results to the change-point problem whether a regression function is or is not constant during a certain period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 66 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Jandhyala, V. K. & MacNeill, I. B., 1989. "Residual partial sum limit process for regression models with applications to detecting parameter changes at unknown times," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 309-323, December.
- Wolfgang Bischoff & Frank Miller, 2000. "Asymptotically Optimal Tests and Optimal Designs for Testing the Mean in Regression Models with Applications to Change-Point Problems," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 658-679, December.
- Bischoff, Wolfgang & Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2005. "A lower bound for boundary crossing probabilities of Brownian bridge/motion with trend," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 265-271, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.