Estimating the parameters of rare events
AbstractIn this paper the estimation of certain parameters of the extreme order statistics of stationary observations is considered in a general framework. These parameters are resulted from dependence, and hence their inference is substantially different from similar considerations in the i.i.d. context. Variants of estimators that are functionals of the empirical 'cluster size' distribution are proposed, and such properties as consistency and asymptotic normality are studied. Special emphasis is given to estimating the extremal index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 37 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
739, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas & Zhao, Yuwei, 2013. "Measures of serial extremal dependence and their estimation," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(7), pages 2575-2602.
- Segers, Johan, 2005. "Approximate distributions of clusters of extremes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(4), pages 330-336, October.
- Bertrand B. Maillet & Jean-Philippe R. Médecin, 2010. "Extreme Volatilities, Financial Crises and L-moment Estimations of Tail-indexes," Working Papers 2010_10, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Olmo, J., 2006. "A new family of estimators for the extremal index," Working Papers 06/01, Department of Economics, City University London.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.