Central limit theorems for realized volatility under hitting times of an irregular grid
AbstractWe consider a continuous semi-martingale sampled at hitting times of an irregular grid. The goal of this work is to analyze the asymptotic behavior of the realized volatility under this rather natural observation scheme. This framework strongly differs from the well understood situations when the sampling times are deterministic or when the grid is regular. Indeed, neither Gaussian approximations nor symmetry properties can be used. In this setting, as the distance between two consecutive barriers tends to zero, we establish central limit theorems for the normalized error of the realized volatility. In particular, we show that there is no bias in the limiting process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaaki Fukasawa, 2010. "Central limit theorem for the realized volatility based on tick time sampling," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 209-233, April.
- Silja Kinnebrock & Mark Podolskij, 2007.
"A Note on the Central Limit Theorem for Bipower Variation of General Functions,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2007fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Kinnebrock, Silja & Podolskij, Mark, 2008. "A note on the central limit theorem for bipower variation of general functions," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(6), pages 1056-1070, June.
- Fukasawa, Masaaki, 2010. "Realized volatility with stochastic sampling," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 120(6), pages 829-852, June.
- Markus Bibinger & Mathias Vetter, 2013. "Estimating the quadratic covariation of an asynchronously observed semimartingale with jumps," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-029, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.