Do consultation charges deter general practitioner use among older people? A natural experiment
AbstractIn the Republic of Ireland, approximately 30% of the population ('medical card patients') are entitled to free general practice services. Eligibility is determined primarily on the basis of an income means test. The remaining 70% of the population ('private patients') must pay the full cost of all general practitioner (GP) consultations. From July 2001, all those over 70 years of age are also entitled to a medical card, regardless of income. This change in the pricing of GP services in the Republic of Ireland in 2001 provides a natural experiment that allows for an examination of the influence of economic incentives on GP visiting behaviour. The purpose of this paper is to examine whether this change in pricing for GP care for those over 70 years of age in Ireland led to an increase in the utilisation of GP services among this group. Using data from two nationally representative surveys of the population over the age of 65 before and after the policy change, difference-in-difference two-step models of GP visiting behaviour are estimated. The results indicate that, while there is some limited evidence in favour of an increase in the probability of seeking GP care among those over 70 years of age after the policy change, there is no significant effect on the frequency of visits. Differences in the incentives facing both patients and GPs after the policy change can explain the latter result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Social Science & Medicine.
Volume (Year): 68 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eso:journl:v:43:y:2012:i:2:p:227-250 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fiorentini, Gianluca & Lippi Bruni, Matteo & Ugolini, Cristina, 2013.
"GPs and hospital expenditures. Should we keep expenditure containment programs alive?,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 10-20.
- G. Fiorentini & M. Lippi Bruni & C. Ugolini, 2012. "GPs and hospital expenditures. Should we keep expenditure containment programs alive?," Working Papers wp829, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Layte, Richard & Nolan, Anne, 2009. "Improving Access to Primary Care in Ireland: Do GP Charges Matter?," Papers RB2009/2/1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Layte, Richard & Nolan, Anne, 2013. "Income-Related Inequity in the Use of GP Services: A Comparison of Ireland and Scotland," Papers WP454, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Nolan, Anne & Smith, Samantha, 2012. "The effect of differential eligibility for free GP services on GP utilisation in Ireland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(10), pages 1644-1651.
- Ikenwilo, Divine, 2013. "A difference-in-differences analysis of the effect of free dental check-ups in Scotland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 10-18.
- Nolan, Anne, 2011. "An extension in eligibility for free primary care and avoidable hospitalisations: A natural experiment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(7), pages 978-985.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.