Moral Hazard and the Demand for Physician Services: First Lessons from a French Natural Experiment
AbstractThis paper presents first empirical results on moral hazard in demand for physician services, using a longitudinal dataset on 4578 individuals followed during two years. The data set contains two subgroups, one for which a copayment rate of 10% for physician visits was introduced in 1994, and an other for which no change occured during the period of the study. This enables us to use these data as coming from a controlled natural experiment. We test if the number of visits per agent was modified by this copayment rate. The data reject the hypothesis for office visits, but do not for home visits. This suggests that there is moral hazard in demand for some physician services, but also that when non-monetary costs are important, small changes in monetary price may not induce any major change in behaviour.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure) in its series DELTA Working Papers with number 98-05.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Economic Review, 1998, 42 (3-5), pp. 499-511
MORAL HAZARD ; HEALTH SERVICES ; INSURANCE;
Other versions of this item:
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Durand, Franck & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves, 1998. "Moral hazard and the demand for physician services: First lessons from a French natural experiment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 499-511, May.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:inseep:9701 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dionne, G. & Gourieroux, C. & Vanasse, C., 1998.
"Evidence of Adverse Selection in Automobile Insurance Markets,"
Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-
98-09, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- G. Dionne & C. Gouriéroux & C. Vanasse, 1998. "Evidence of adverse selection in automobile insurance markets," THEMA Working Papers 98-22, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dionne, G. & Gourieroux, C. & Vanasse, C., 1998. "Evidence of Adverse Selection in Automobile Insurance Markets," Papers 9822, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Georges Dionne & Christian Gourieroux & Charles Vanasse, 1998. "Evidence of Adverse Selection in Automobile Insurance Markets," Working Papers 98-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Salanie, Bernard, 1997. "Empirical contract theory: The case of insurance data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 943-950, April.
- repec:fth:inseep:9711 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michel Glaude & Laurent Caussat, 1993. "Dépenses médicales et couverture sociale," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 265(1), pages 31-43.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Salanié, 1997.
"Testing for Asymmetric Information in Insurance Markets,"
97-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Salanie, 2000. "Testing for Asymmetric Information in Insurance Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 56-78, February.
- Phelps, Charles E & Newhouse, Joseph P, 1974. "Coinsurance, the Price of Time, and the Demand for Medical Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 334-42, August.
- Manning, Willard G, et al, 1987. "Health Insurance and the Demand for Medical Care: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 251-77, June.
- Wilson, Charles, 1977. "A model of insurance markets with incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 167-207, December.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.