A comprehensive review of solar facades. Opaque solar facades
AbstractIn antiquity, people already knew the principles of solar architecture, designing their houses to the south to take advantage of the sun in all seasons. Today, solar architecture is undergoing a true revolution because of the development, among other things, of special facades involved in the processes of heating, ventilation, thermal isolation, shading, electricity generation and lighting of homes: these are called “solar facades”. This paper aims to review the remarkable developments that have occurred during the first decade of this century in this field.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chow, T.T. & Chan, A.L.S. & Fong, K.F. & Lin, Z. & He, W. & Ji, J., 2009. "Annual performance of building-integrated photovoltaic/water-heating system for warm climate application," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(5), pages 689-696, May.
- Boutin, Yanik & Gosselin, Louis, 2009. "Optimal mixed convection for maximal energy recovery with vertical porous channel (solar wall)," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2714-2721.
- Ubertini, S. & Desideri, U., 2003. "Design of a solar collector for year-round climatization," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 623-645.
- Chen, B. & Chen, X. & Ding, Y.H. & Jia, X., 2006. "Shading effects on the winter thermal performance of the Trombe wall air gap: An experimental study in Dalian," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1961-1971.
- Pasupathy, A. & Velraj, R. & Seeniraj, R.V., 2008. "Phase change material-based building architecture for thermal management in residential and commercial establishments," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 39-64, January.
- Nouanégué, H.F. & Alandji, L.R. & Bilgen, E., 2008. "Numerical study of solar-wind tower systems for ventilation of dwellings," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 434-443.
- Tyagi, Vineet Veer & Buddhi, D., 2007. "PCM thermal storage in buildings: A state of art," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 1146-1166, August.
- Chandel, S.S. & Aggarwal, R.K., 2008. "Performance evaluation of a passive solar building in Western Himalayas," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 2166-2173.
- Crawford, R.H. & Treloar, G.J. & Fuller, R.J. & Bazilian, M., 2006. "Life-cycle energy analysis of building integrated photovoltaic systems (BiPVs) with heat recovery unit," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 559-575, December.
- Chen, Wei & Liu, Wei, 2004. "Numerical analysis of heat transfer in a composite wall solar-collector system with a porous absorber," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 137-149, June.
- Chow, T.T., 2010. "A review on photovoltaic/thermal hybrid solar technology," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 365-379, February.
- Harris, D.J. & Helwig, N., 2007. "Solar chimney and building ventilation," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 135-146, February.
- Imessad, K. & Messaoudene, N.Ait & Belhamel, M., 2004. "Performances of the Barra–Costantini passive heating system under Algerian climate conditions," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 357-367.
- Zondag, H.A., 2008. "Flat-plate PV-Thermal collectors and systems: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 891-959, May.
- Onishi, Junji & Soeda, Haruo & Mizuno, Minoru, 2001. "Numerical study on a low energy architecture based upon distributed heat storage system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-66.
- Ong, K.S., 2003. "A mathematical model of a solar chimney," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1047-1060.
- Heim, Dariusz, 2010. "Isothermal storage of solar energy in building construction," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 788-796.
- Yang, Hongxing & Zhu, Zuojin & Burnett, John, 2000. "Simulation of the behaviour of transparent insulation materials in buildings in northern China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 293-306, November.
- Omer, S.A. & Wilson, R. & Riffat, S.B., 2003. "Monitoring results of two examples of building integrated PV (BIPV) systems in the UK," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1387-1399.
- Hasan, M. Arif & Sumathy, K., 2010. "Photovoltaic thermal module concepts and their performance analysis: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1845-1859, September.
- Sharma, Atul & Tyagi, V.V. & Chen, C.R. & Buddhi, D., 2009. "Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 318-345, February.
- Punyasompun, Sompop & Hirunlabh, Jongjit & Khedari, Joseph & Zeghmati, Belkacem, 2009. "Investigation on the application of solar chimney for multi-storey buildings," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2545-2561.
- Khedari, Joseph & Rachapradit, Ninnart & Hirunlabh, Jongjit, 2003. "Field study of performance of solar chimney with air-conditioned building," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 1099-1114.
- Zamora, B. & Kaiser, A.S., 2010. "Numerical study on mixed buoyancy-wind driving induced flow in a solar chimney for building ventilation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2080-2088.
- Kalogirou, Soteris A. & Florides, George & Tassou, Savvas, 2002. "Energy analysis of buildings employing thermal mass in Cyprus," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 353-368.
- Miyazaki, T. & Akisawa, A. & Kashiwagi, T., 2006. "The effects of solar chimneys on thermal load mitigation of office buildings under the Japanese climate," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 987-1010.
- Blasco Lucas, I & Hoesé, L & Pontoriero, D, 2000. "Experimental study of passive systems thermal performance," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 39-45.
- Tonui, J.K. & Tripanagnostopoulos, Y., 2007. "Improved PV/T solar collectors with heat extraction by forced or natural air circulation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 623-637.
- Saadatian, Omidreza & Sopian, K. & Lim, C.H. & Asim, Nilofar & Sulaiman, M.Y., 2012. "Trombe walls: A review of opportunities and challenges in research and development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 6340-6351.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.